We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto-Montt -> Puerto Natales, other options than Navimag?

Reims, France
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto-Montt -> Puerto Natales, other options than Navimag?

Then new Navimag ferry, operating from Feb. 15, seems to be much nicer than old Amadeo I.

I was wondering if someone had managed to informally board a ship on the same route, just asking the captain, and paying some form of retribution, of course.

I suppose travel conditions might not be as comfortable, but I don't mind.

I know this can be done in some parts of the world, but what about Puerto Montt?

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto-Montt -> Puerto Natales, other options than Navimag?

Formally, yes, you can approach to Maritime Authority (Capitania de Puerto), asking for ships departing to Natales or Punta Arenas and negotiate directly with the captains, but to be sincere, hardly some one pick you, moreover these ships go to Punta Arenas, not Natales, and by open sea, rough sea without no glance of the wonderful scenery of the fjords provided by Navimag ferries

daily info of ships staying in PM

http://bc1.directemar.cl/puerto/default.jsp

as you see today no one is bounded to Punta Arenas

by the way sounds as the new ferry (Puerto Eden) will be on duty before the second half of February

laprensaaustral.cl/cronica/ferry-eden-comenz…

Reims, France
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto-Montt -> Puerto Natales, other options than Navimag?

OK, interesting info, thanks. So I guess I'll stick with Navimag, the new ferry will probably have better reviews than the old one...

3. Re: Puerto-Montt -> Puerto Natales, other options than Navimag?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:20