We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

Rome, Italy
14 posts
Save Topic
Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

Hi everyone,

1. Is there a bus transfer from Puerto Varas to Vicente Perez Rosales NP/Osorno and how long does the trip take?

2. Is there a bus transfer from Puerto Varas to Lago Llanquihue or is it possible to go by bike there?

3. Is there a bus transfer from Puerto Varas to the Alerce Andino NP?

4. Is there a bus transfer from Puerto Varas to the Estuario de Reloncavi or is it possible to book a tour from there?

5. I want to visit the Chiloe NP and spend the night on Chiloe Island. How long does it take from Puerto Varas to get there and where is the best place to spend the night?

Thanks for any reply.

Puerto Montt
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

Hi Skinn3r! I shall try to answer your questions as you asked them. I assume that with busses you mean local busses.

1) There are local busses to Petrohue. It takes a little more than an hour - the distance is about 65km but the busses stop oftem. They have just started extensive road works on this section of road, so the time could be a lot longet over the holiday pweriod. To Ensenada the busses are quite frequent but to Petrohue they are less so. The busses do not run to the ski centre on Vn Osorno.

2) Puerto Varas is on the lake Llanquihue.

3) No. The closest you will get is to take the bus to Pto Montt and then take the local bus to Lenca or Caleta Arena. That will, however, leave you with a 10km hike to get to the park. It is about 35km from Pto Montt.

4) Yes but irregular. You may be able to get a bus to Hornopiren that goes past Cochamó but these will not be regular. Maybe once or twice a day.

5) There are many busses to Chiloe but they leave from Pto Montt.

Pto Varas is 20km from Pto Montt. The bus to Pto Montt takes about 30 minutes. Pto Montt is the hub around which most of the local transport is organised.

Keep in mind that there is a city called Osorno - which has little for the tourist, and a lovely volcano by the same name a bout 150km from there.

Have a look at http://www.patagoniapaul.com for some more info and photographs of the area.

Rome, Italy
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

Thanks for the info Patagoniapaul. I mistook Petrohue with Puyehue. Are there regular busses to Puyehue? Is it possible to go there in the morning, do a little trekking and return in the evening? It should be a 3 hour drive?

Puerto Montt
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

I suppose so, yes. You will have to take a coach to Osorno and there change to a local bus. I have no idea about their schedules. There are nice cabañas at Puyehue if you want to stay over. Just how much hiking do you want to do? Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuN9QwOBWwY

That was my wife and I for my grand 60!

You could even considder staying over in Entrelagos for one or two days before moving to Pto Varas. It is quite nice and much closer to Puyehue.

Let me know if you need any more info!

PP

Springdale, Utah
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

Hi PP,

Great video of the Mt Puyehue hike. My wife and I are headed that wayin late Jan early Feb 2011 and want to do as much hiking and exploring as possible. I am 61, fit, work as a guide here in Zion National Park in Utah. Along with my wife Maria, we are doing a S American backpacking trip and will spend about 2-3 weeks in the Lake District and Patagonia. Any info and recommendations on what to absolutely see and do will be greatly appreciated. Are you on Facebook at all?

Regards,

Steve and Maria.

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

There ARE buses from Puerto Varas to Ancud and Castro on Chiloé.

They go via a ferry, which is fun - you can even get food on the ferry !

6. Re: Trips around Puerto Varas + Chiloe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 06:18