We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

Hello,

There are 2 of us travelling to Santiago arriving March 11/07 for 3 nights. This is our first trip to Chile. Hotel Orly is highly recommended but booked. From what I can tell the location is perfect (Providencia). We are also looking at the Hotel Neruda, the Hotel Fundador and the Plaza San Fransisco. We want to be able to walk safely in the evenings and understand Centro is not the best place to be although we will be visiting the Plaza des armas. We also do not want to be far out and not close to the "culture" and highlights of the city.

Thanks!

Susan

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

Both the Fundador and Plaza San Francisco are downtown. In Providencia, look into the Bonaparte, the Eurotel, or the Four Points by Sheraton, all with similar locations to the Orly.. There are also a number of apart-hotels in Prrovidencia.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

Hi, we just returned a week ago. We stayed at Hotel Bonaparte for 3 nights at the beginning of our 10 day trip, and again the last 2 days. We really liked it. It's a farther walk to Providencia main drag but I noticed the Hotel Orly probably would have been to noisy for us. Its about a 15 minute walk to get to the main Providencia but it's very pleasant walk down a tree-line boulevard from the hotel Bonaparte. Lots of embassies along the way. Hotel Neruda was sort of in between Hotel Bonaparte and Hotel Orly. So its a little close to the main Providencia area. Looked nice from the outside.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

The BOnaparte is a good option.

Talking about the short walt from the hotel to Providencia street, ican tell you it is a very pleasent walk and the street (Av. Lyon) is maby one of the most beautiful streets in Santiago.

Anyway, i would like to add another option wich is quiet near the Orly, the Villafranca Hotel.

It is a very beautiful and small hotel located in a nice area an very near Providencia street.

This is the web site: http://www.vilafranca.cl/

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

I have found some great prices on www.asiarooms.com. I booked the Manquehue for which Expedia wants $134.15 for only $67. That's including breakfast and check out the pictures on Expedia. The place looks incredible!

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

The Manquehue Hotel is not bad, but quiet old and far away.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We have booked 3 nights at the Hotel Neruda. Hopefully that will work out well. Getting very excited about the trip.

I have another question though.. We arrive Sunday afternoon (2 adults) and thought a 1/2 day guided city tour of Santiago on Monday morning would be a good way to see the highlights of the city before setting out to explore on our own Monday afternoon and Tuesday.

We would like a hotel pick up rather than having to make our way to a departure point early in the morning. Of course we need the tour to be in English (our Spanish isn't as good as it should be!), oh and a comfortable bus would be great too! I see About Chile tours operates out of the Hotel Orly but I don't think they do pickups at other hotels.

I expect there are lots of other tour companies available but I am not sure if I should research this and book something online in advance or just wait until we get to the hotel on Sunday afternoon.

Just noticed you can book a 3.5 hour city tour on http://www.hotelclub.com which will pick us up at our hotel...is anyone familiar with that tour? It doesn't name the company...

We also thought it would be great if we could find a tour to Valparaiso/Vina del Mar/Renaca on Wednesday that would drop us off before going back to Santiago. (We'll need a coach that can accomodate our luggage - we are going to be staying with friends at the coast for 4 nights and thought a tour would be a good way to get there). Any info is great!! Many thanks..

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

The Hotel Neruda offers tours from the hotel. I can't remember which company they use (Turistour?) but they went to all the usual places. I've booked people into the hotel for conferences before and they have used them and were happy. Perhaps email the hotel and say what you want and pre-book with them.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

Thanks dancingmolly .. I will do that today!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

about chile tours do pick up from different hotels, I highly recommend using them, we have done numerous tours with them and found them to fabulous.

10. Re: Hotel Orly is Booked Can Anyone Recommend an Alternate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:17