We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the Stop?

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Worth the Stop?

I'm planning a trip to Buenos Aires and wanted to do a stop in Santiago on my way back home. Is this even worth it? What's the general thoughts on Santiago? Should I not even waste my time and perhaps spend it all in BA (doing day trips and such from there, i.e. Uruguay)?? Thanks!

Oxon Hill, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth the Stop?

Ciao,

I guess it all depends on what you're shopping for. Also, shopping, in general, will probably be cheaper in BA, but there are deals in Santiago that you won't get in BA (lapiz, alpaca?, and the wine of course). But, as far as "is it worth it"? Definately!! Santiago is such a great place and completely different, to me anyways. Actually, I prefer it.

BA is more like NYC, but with beautiful architecture and although Santiago is a giant city, it has more of a suburban feel to me. More greenery with beautiful parks around every corner.

If you don't make it to Santiago, you may also consider Medoza, which is also very nice.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful trip.

Tracy

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
11 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth the Stop?

Just back from a trip to S.America and I can say that Santiago was the positive surprise of our vacation.We only stayed one night following a cruise and before catching a flight to Rio but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

City is safe,clean,modern but with some nice historic sites and markets.

The backdrop of the snow capped Andes wherever you look gives a special aura to this city.

Reagrding your option of day tripping to Monte Video,Uruguay THAT is a waste of time - one of the most boring cities in our trip - Santiago beats it hands down!

Enjoy!

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth the Stop?

Hi CiaofromCA

I can say every time someone goes to Santiago as MaturemanL, i mean just for one night, their thoughts are exactly the same..."i should have spend more time there" they say.

Santiago is a very beautiful city with some of the most dramatic background you will ever see in such a City, the andes mountain range.

But not only that, it is an elegant city with some very local and colourful touches as the central market, La Vega or its beautiful downtown with some colonial buildings...beautiful colonial churches and great museums as the Precolumbian Museum.

Great restaurants, and bars, beautiful poarks, and very civilized people.

Of course, not forget the wine....Santiago is not surrounded only by mountains, it is as well surrounded by wineries...you can even see some wineries inside the city, as the COusiño Macul, where you can go with the metro (our local underground)

I would definitvly suggest to you, you will surelly be surprised...

Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth the Stop?

I am a retired airline pilot. I spent the last third of my career flying all over the world. I have been to a lot of cities around the world, and I rate Santiago, Chile as firmly in my top 5 list of places I would like to be. Great food, excellent sight seeing, nice people and it is inexpensive to boot. Did I mention the inexpensive wine? It is much more laid back than B.A. I liked B.A., but I liked Santiago more. Great country and a wonderful place to visit. Make sure you get there.

Mexic city
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth the Stop?

If ypu go to BA santiago is a must (and viceversa) two cities are completely different. In santiago you will have wonderful landscape (the andes) and depending of the season you can go to vilña del mar (beach and sun in summer) and valparaiso no more than anhour and ahalf. oor in winter you can sky (portillo, farellones, la parva) less than one hour. The city is big, modern and clean ther e you can visit downtown (la moneda, san francisco church, and cerro Snata Lucia). the food (specially seafood is superb) also the wines excellent and cheap

6. Re: Worth the Stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 22:19