We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigrating to Santiago

Johannesburg
2 posts
Save Topic
Immigrating to Santiago

I am French but have been living in South Africa for the last 10 years. My family (husband and 2 daughters) is planning to move to Santiago next year.

Coming from South Africa I would like to know how security is. What would the best international school be. Any recommendation in terms of area for accommodation? Is is better to buy or to rent? I have heard that Chileans are fantastic people.

Céline

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigrating to Santiago

Hi, Céline. You would be better off looking at some websites specifically geared to people moving to Chile. This website is really just for visitors. If you put 'expats in Chile' into google or a similar search engine, you will get lots of information. Good luck.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigrating to Santiago

Dancingmolly is right, but here is a very short answer to your questions - the best international school is Nido de Aguilas, but there are Chilean private schools that might be better including the Grange (English), the Colegio Alemán (German), Santiago College (English) and Alliance Française. There are also good public (state) schools, but these are difficult to enter for non-Chileans.

Santiago is the most secure city in Latin America. One does not worry unduly about teenagers wandering around on their own at night. I would rent when you first turn up to get a good feel about where you might want to buy.

There is a wide choice in barrios in which to live. It depends a lot on what lifestyle you like or whether you prefer a house or an apartment.

Santiago is great for sports. There is even a cricket club.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigrating to Santiago

Just for you to know...

I have a couple of french friends here....they love Chile and Santiago.

They came as visitors and returned after a couple of year in France...their children are in Alianza Francesa school, quiet expensive for us, maybe not for you anyway....

By the way, Chile is a nice place to live, safe and with many beautiful and diferent areas to know sush as desert, altiplano, patagonia, islands and many others and chilean people is quiet freidnly.

4. Re: Immigrating to Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 00:16