We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US citizens and tax on hotels?

texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
US citizens and tax on hotels?

Alrighty,

please help me understand. I am booking a hotel in Santiago and on ALL the web sites it calls for about 19% tax. There is no way you can get out of subtracting this as it is called (for us stupid people) a "recovery fee". I called each site and told them that US citizens DO NOT pay this tax on hotels in Chile and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I called the hotel chains and they didn't either.

Can anyone elaborate?

This goes for any US chain, by the way.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US citizens and tax on hotels?

The 19% is sales tax, VAT. If you are a visitor to Chile and show your passport with the copy of your entrance card, you are exempt from this tax. It has nothing to do with any particular nationality and is available to all tourists.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US citizens and tax on hotels?

The other stipulation is that you must also use cash USD or foreign credit card for payment.

Be aware not all places are setup for this, especially budget lodgings.

When this option is available, they will make a copy of your passport and tourist card for their tax records.

.... Whoa, just felt a small temblor here on the coast.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US citizens and tax on hotels?

I could be wrong but my experience with this tax was that it was waived only if you presented your passport and entry slip AND paid in foreign currency.

4. Re: US citizens and tax on hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 10:16