We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need air conditioning?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need air conditioning?

How hot is Santiago the first week in February? I accidentally booked an apartment with no air conditioning and its nonrefundable. Am I going to be sleepless and sweat to death? I like it cool when I sleep. I keep my air on 72 in the summer cuz I am cheap though.

Thanks

Santiago
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

Not really, in Santiago temperature is on 85 to 90 by that time and it´s not humid, so most of the houses and apartments don´t use Air Conditioning.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

The temperature in Santiago drops a lot at night. Today's temperature is 27C but tonight it will go down to 13C. It depends a bit on where the building is and how built up it is around it, but most people don't have air conditioning.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

When we were there we had air conditioning in our room but never used it.

Yes in the evenings gets cool so definitely not a problem not having AC.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

All depends on the structure. I still remember the 4 horrible Santiago summers I had in a west corner, north facing, top floor (19th) apartment. Yes at night it cooled down outside but the apartment didn't. In fact, it was unbearably hot long after the sun went down as the day's absorbed energy finally dispersed into the interior. At night, I would have all windows open but the apartment seemed to be at it's peak warmth from 10 pm to 2 am.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

Thanks for your help. I sorta found a solution. The manager said they could provide some fans and we are going to spend one of the nights in cajon de maipo. The manager also said the condos are concree so they dont get that hot.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

Hehe ... be careful with the response from the manager, it is a very hispano trait to downplay a pointed question or potential problem.

Concrete WAS the problem with my apartment. A concrete apartment building, a concrete west wall, a concrete ceiling on the top floor, a concrete north facing unit with concrete balcony all made an excellent heat sink with the heat expelled inwards after the sun went down during the "heat" of summer.

Open windows and fans do help ... depending.

7. Re: Do I need air conditioning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 05:26