We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food into Chile

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
249 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Food into Chile

I have read here on Trip Advisor that it is not allowed to bring fruit, nuts, etc. into Chile. When we travel we often stick some granola bars and peanut butter into our suitcase. Is this allowed?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food into Chile

Both peanut butter and granola bars can be imported, but you must declare them. Of course, you can easily buy both in Chile.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food into Chile

The important thing is to declare any food you have with you, even if you think it is allowed, as fines are very high. Just tick the box that you have something to declare and put it at the top of your case and let the inspector decide. Be careful of slipping something from the airplane breakfast tray into your pocket to eat later. Food items from the plane are not allowed in.

Level Contributor
249 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food into Chile

Thanks--I appreciate the info.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food into Chile

The degree of strictness varies by the phase of the moon. One person might be able to pass with a box of commercially wrapped macadamia nut chocolates and the next person will get their commercially sealed can of nuts confiscated.

So be prepared to give up the granola bars thought the commercially sealed peanut butter should be OK.

And do as DM says and mark the Yes box for anything organic and let the customs and the agro screeners make the call. All bags go through X-Ray screening at Chile customs.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food into Chile

Does anyone know if a ceramic Buddha would be ok - or a Fern wood vase from New Zealand?

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
468 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food into Chile

ceramic is ok

if it has wood, then it's better to be on the safe side and declare it

if it's varnished, cured wood, it shouldn't have trouble

but as dancingmolly and eeuunikei state, better safe than fined

and declare if you have any doubts

wood with bark is definitely not allowed

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food into Chile

Fruits are a definite no-no. I put an apple in my bag taken from hotel breakfast table in Buenos Aires n thought of eating that at BA airport but totally forgotten about that until it showed up in x-ray machine in Santiago, the customs officer was kind enough asking me to re-fill my immigration form cos I did not declare it earlier...feign ignorance n it works, they asked me to bin the apple which I gladly did....

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Food into Chile

You are VERY LUCKY you did not get a stiff fine.

Countless other foreigners have not been so lucky in feigning ignorance.

Declare and let them make the call and be prepared to give it up.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food into Chile

indeed....maybe the officer hardly speak english n I hardly a word of spanish......they had the kind of look 'ahh nevermind....' seriously if they fine me over one green apple....I swear I would never step into Chile again..,haha...kiddin'

Edited: 02 March 2012, 17:20
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food into Chile

Thanks guys!!!! Sounds like Buddah s a go but don't risk the wooden vase :)