We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locks for luggage?

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
224 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
locks for luggage?

We are flying to Santiago with LAN . Can we use TSA approved locks for our luggage when we go there?

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: locks for luggage?

I had to look that up. I am sure you can.

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
224 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: locks for luggage?

thanks.. we just ordered 2 of them

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: locks for luggage?

I regularly use TSA locks on my suitcases, to and from Santiago and have had no problems.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: locks for luggage?

I only use regular (non-TSA) locks from and to Santiago and never have had a problem.

I do not trust the TSA as their master key has probably been stolen long ago.

Of course, no padlock matters when a nylon zipper can be instantly breached with a pen tip...

Some USA airport terminals (LAX T4 and Tom Bradley elite and premium class check-in) allow you to wait while your luggage passes TSA scan allowing one to use regular locks.

Any incoming SCL luggage checks occur at the luggage retrieval area or customs in your presence unless the luggage remains unclaimed.

Outgoing SCL luggage checks happen behind the scenes after check-in and I have yet to have my non-TSA locks cut there.

Incoming USA when doing a domestic transfer (SCL-MIA-other, SCL-DFW-other, etc.) is where a TSA lock is useful but I've had a TSA lock cut by TSA themselves when doing one of these transfers.

5. Re: locks for luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 22:18