We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Ocean

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
4 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Ocean

Hello ..

I will be in Santiago in May 21 until May 25 not a long time.

I just want to ask if I want to go to Pacific Ocean from Santiago for one Day. What is the best way to do ? and where I should to go to see the Pacific Ocean .. !

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Ocean

You can easily catch a bus to the coast. I suggest Viña del Mar so you can walk along the seafront. Buses leave every 15 mins or so and take between 1.5-2 hours. The easiest for you would be to catch a Turbus from their own bus station, which is above the Universidad de Santiago metro stop. If you want to visit Valparaíso as well, you can get a Merval commuter train between the two places. They are right next to each other. I would not choose May 21st as it is a holiday, Día de las Gloris Navales - Navy Day - and the President gives a speech in the Congress building in Valparaíso. Any other day will be quieter.

Mecca, Saudi Arabia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Ocean

ooooh .. Thank you very much .. and There is things to do in Viña del Mar ?

anther thing .. from 21 to 25 .. there is some things really you Suggests to do in

Santiago .. I dom`t like Museums ..

Thanks ..

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Ocean

Viña is a popular resort town in summer and a weekend getaway for people from Santiago all year. They go to walk by the sea, relax and eat some good seafood. You can find some activities and a map here:

www.welcomechile.com/vinadelmar/index_i.html

The skiing will not yet have started in May, but there is plenty to do in the city. There are day trips to vineyards as well.

www.welcomechile.com/santiago/outings.html

Mecca, Saudi Arabia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Ocean

Thanks again very much .. the web-site is very useful

What is the different between Viña del Mar and Valparaíso ?

and what are your Suggest between these I will go to sea around May 23.

Thanks ,

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Ocean

Salam, Mecca!

Viña del Mar and Valparaíso are really one large, oceanfront city. Viña is the touristy part, with the beaches and most of the hotels. It's the best spot for people-watching. You can stroll for miles along the beach, starting at the famous floral clock and continuing northward. Or take a horse-drawn tour of town.

I like Valparaíso best, though. Valparaíso is the port city with the hills. The heart of Valpo is the Esmeralda memorial, the gleaming white monument and crypt where lie the remains of Captain Arturo Prat and his crew, national heroes from the War of the Pacific. It isn't a museum, but a monument well worth a visit. At the other end of Valparaíso is the arch-shaped Congress Center, which served as the seat of President Pinochet's government for Chile after the Moneda Palace in Santiago was damaged in the fall of Communism.

Visiting Valparaíso, I love to stroll in the hills overlooking the city. You take one of the historic funicular outdoor elevators, UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The maze of hills is not only charming to explore, but offers a stunning view of the harbor that Viña del Mar can only dream of,

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Ocean

its easier and more convenient to just join day tour with an english speaking guide to Valparaiso including Vina del Mar. Its door to door service that you could arrange thru' your hotel. Unless you speak spanish, chileans don't speak english except those in the tour industry. I found difficulty travelling by public transport, even going out to buy meals as I do not speak spanish.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 14:53
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Ocean

Thank you gyes I think we Will go to Valparasio ..

ammmmm Really I don`t now in Santiago where we go to visit .. !

Thanks Again ..

8. Re: Pacific Ocean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 06:18