We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us cell phone to chile

California
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
us cell phone to chile

I would like to send a friend in Santiago Chile a us cell phone with internet capabilities,he would have to get his own service there, is that possible to do? will it work in Santiago Chile, and which phone will work better, my friend is telling me the cel phones cost nearly 1,000.00 american dollares in Chile, is that true? Please advise. ThanKS

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Chile
Chile
South America
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us cell phone to chile

No they do not. Cell phones are cheaper than in the US and proportionally more people have cellphone here than in the US. Your friend is not exactly telling the truth.

SantiagoChile
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: us cell phone to chile

Hi PLANEMAN10!

I agree with Toid!

For US$ 1.000 you buy an Iphone 4, BlackBerry Bold, Galaxy 5 and pay the 18 month contract all at once.

Perhaps your friend is talking about the Blackberry 9800 that you can buy without a contract for US$ 1.000.

You have hundred of option starting at US$ 50.

www.entelpcs.cl

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,940 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us cell phone to chile

To your question about buying a U.S. phone, yes it's possible. GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile in the USA) are the best international standard. While some GSM networks operate on different frequencies, the USA and Chile are compatible. You will need to purchase an unlocked phone so that your friend can put in a SIM from Chile without the phone being blocked.

All in all, though, it would likely be far cheaper for the phone to be purchased with a contract in Chile. To buy a new phone unlocked here you'll be paying an unsubsidized price so it will be more expensive. Another alternative is buying a used phone on eBay, etc.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
California
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us cell phone to chile

what does a blackberry torch cost in Santiago, I figure sending him the money to buy one there may be easier? can you check that for me, my friend in Santiago is a youngman and just may be mis-informed...Thanks so much...Planeman

Edited: 23 May 2011, 18:28
Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: us cell phone to chile

http://www.google.cl/#q=blackberry+torch&hl=es-419&biw=800&bih=569&prmd=ivnsr&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryCL&cr=countryCL

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: us cell phone to chile

It seems to cost around 300,000 pesos or US$600, see listado.mercadolibre.cl/Blackberry%20torch

7. Re: us cell phone to chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 06:33