We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Santiago a success

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
421 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Santiago a success

We were able to rent a car at the Santiago Airport from Diagonal rental car. We were met at the airport by Luis who delivered the car to us. But best of all -- we were able to arrange to drop it in Santa Cruz where we would be picking up our tour. We took the optional insurance so the rates were a bit higher than we usually pay. But the ability to drop it 3 hours south of Santiago we perfect for our plans.

We easily drove to the coast, stayed in el quisco at a new B&B then drove to Valparaiso, Vina del Mar, Isla Negro, various wineries in the white wine district (Casablanca), then to Santa Cruz.

One caution -- do get a cell phone number for your contact... our pick up guy was about an hour late due to unplanned road work on the way to Santa Cruz.

www.diagonalrentacar.cl

Cynde , Bend, Oregon

Stamford...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

We are looking to rent a car in santiago to travel south for a few days. How much was your car and what size was it? Thanks for your help

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

I think with the insurance it was about $50-60 per day. We asked for a manual transmission -- they have others. We has a Hyundai that sat 4. Not the smallest one. Plenty comfortable.

Roads were generally easy to navigate to the larger areas but our El Quisco friends gave us a page for that area from their very detailed map book -- you can get the map books at the gas station. It really helped.

By the way -- we were given the car empty and told to return it em[pty -- not our usual choice. But we went to the first gas station out of the airport -- Shell -- and they charged us for our gas and one for someone else. So be careful using your credit card, especially at the gas stations. Use pesos if you can. Otherwise, make sure you watch that the pump is zeroed out and that the card is used once and given back to you without being entered into some other pump.

Overall -- that is the only problem we had in Chile. Great wine country nearby the Santiago area.

Enjoy --

Stamford...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

Thanks for the advice

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

Our car rental was arranged by the people we were staying with in El Quisco (on the coast about an hour south of Vina/Valpo). They speak Spanish. But Luis does manage a bit of English. You can try the web site directly or email or call Luis. The info I have from his card is:

Cell number printed on his card says 09 6 82 87168 -- the Chile country code is +56.

He WROTE on the card 0056 9 6828 7168

Email -- LuisJorquera@DiagonalRentACar.cl -- not "rental" but "renta"

We traveled as far south as Santa Cruz -- about 3 hours at most south of the airport. We also traveled as far north and west in the car as Valpo/Vina. Lots to see. The white wine and Pinot Noir area is in the Casablanca area. Estancia Cuadro has an awesome lunch with lots of wine included. (We were there on a Sunday. May not be on every day.)

We went to a winery in Lo Abarca -- good luck finding it -- Casa Marin -- well-worth finding it. The wine is not found in the USA and they have a Pinot and a Sauvingon Gris -- not one I had seen. The town is very small and there is a great restaurant if you like pork -- El Sauce -- in town. Very local. Portions are huge.

If you think you'll get to the coast, I can give you the contact in El Quisco. You will be treated well. El Quisco is about an hour south of Valpo/Vina, near Algorobo, right on the water.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

Hi, once more --

I found our paper work on the car rental -- the car was a Corolla-sized vehicle at 28,000 pesos per day which included all taxes, unlimited miles, and all insurance with a $500 deductable.

We found Trip Advisor comments on Diagonal Rent A Car to be very favorable. Those ofr Alamo and National were AWFUL! Apparently one should avoid those two.

Enjoy your travels... Cynde

6. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2011, 23:05
Edited: 10 December 2011, 23:05
Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

I recently filled my rental car at the exact same Shell station at the Santiago airport and they did the same thing to me - charged my $119 for half a tank of gas. Did you try to contact them and/or dispute the charge? I'm having trouble finding the contact information for that station.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

My credit card company actually spotted this before I did and called me while we were still in Chile. I disputed it upon my return and the credit card company reversed the charge without any problem. If it is the same Shell Station (the one just outside the Santiago airport), then you can let your credit card company know it happened to us, too. I cannot see how you will lose the dispute.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

Thanks for the response. I will file a dispute as well. Best Regards..

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Santiago a success

Hello CyndeM. I will be in Chile next week. I've thought about renting a car, but was hesitant. Your post makes me more interested. I plan to visit many of the same areas you did. How did you find the roads? Do you have an international drivers license? Also, being from the Midwest, I'm not entirely comfortable driving on coastal or moutainous roads with steep drop offs and hairpin turns. Was there much of that?

Thank you.