We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chile in general

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
chile in general

i am looking to buy a cheapish car drive around for the winter, no plans to hit santiago, just the outskirts to find a car. what the deal with snow and ice on roads there, do you need chains? and what are car prices like?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chile in general

It only snows in the Andes most years. Elsewhere, snow would not last should there be a fall. A small car, a couple of years old would cost US$8 to 10,000.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chile in general

Sorry, I think I exaggerated the prices say $4000 to 6000.

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: chile in general

thanks toid, are the snow resorts reliable for snow fall? do you know much about driving across to argentina or up to peru?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chile in general

it is not easy to rent a car and take it to Argentina and impossible to do so with a one way rental. I very much doubt you could take a rental car to Peru. Driving across Argentina, say from Mendoza to Buenos Aires, is not very interesting. The resorts are fairly reliable on snowfall and there is snow making equipment at all the larger resorts. July and early August are the best time for skiing.

5. Re: chile in general

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 06:16