We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

We will be traveling to Mendoza mid April 2012, spending a few days in the wine country and then would like to take the bus to Santiago. I have two questions:

1) Is it common for the pass to be closed due to snow at that time of the year? I know you can't predict the weather, but what are the chances?

2) any advise on places to stay in the Mendoza wine area? We like small hotels and don't mind paying for a bit of luxury.

Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

The worst month for closures is probably July. There can be closures at any time of year, even in summer, as the weather at altitude is different from lower down the mountains.. Build a couple of days into your itinerary just in case.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

Mahalo, dancingmolly! Already thought about doing that and, at worst, we can always fly. But, I know the sights are beautiful and want my husband to see them. I grew up in Chile and did the crossing, under very different circumstances and certainly not on a nice road, way back in the 60s.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

Well, the road is better now! If there should be a storm, things shouldn't last more than a day. April used to be the month the autumn rains began, but every year it is drier. I will wish for just enough snow to make the mountains pretty but not enough to heed your passage!

I don't know much about lodging in Mendoza, but a cousin stayed at one of the vineyards outside the city and loved that. There should be reviews on TA Argentina.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

personally,I would rather stay in thecity thanout of town unless you plan to rent a car. it is easy to visit wineroes from the city.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

personally,I would rather stay in the city than out of town unless you plan to rent a car. it is easy to visit wineries from the city.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

I will be travelling between Santiago and Mendoza as well and was only looking into air travel. Never considered bus travel. So I am curious -- how long of a drive is the bus trip between these two cities? Is there a passenger train option that would allow for quicker transport and seeing the landscape?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

There is no train. The ride is about 6 hours, depending on delays at customs. These can be very long waits in summer. Mid-week and not near the 1st or 15th of the month are less crowded, The pass can close at any time due to bad weather at altitude but the worst months are June/July and August. Always build in some extra time for delays.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

As best as I know, there is no train service for that route. It's pretty rugged country and the Andes are not what you would call a hill.:-)

To the best of my knowledge the ride is about 6 hours, but the buses are comfy and the views are exceptional. Check out the TA forum for Chile and/or Argentina.... lots of good info there.

Have fun!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

dancingmolly & Kamana --

Thank you both for your replies. Based on my time restrictions, I will have to stick to flying.

Thanks again.

10. Re: Bus from Mendoza to Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 10:17