We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pomaire pottery

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
137 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Pomaire pottery

I am thinking of doing a tour which stops in Pomaire and then goes to Isla Negra. I saw they are known for pottery. What is the price range for the pottery? It probably depends on size, but looking for a general range.

Tours 4 Tips
Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Sousas Tour
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Uncorked Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Indo Pro Chile
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,916 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pomaire pottery

They range from small pieces for a dollar up to a couple of hundred. It isn't just pots but all sorts of things made out of clay. It is mostly useful items for cooking and serving and flower pots, but there are also decorative pieces.

…typepad.com/apprentice_of_wonder/images/pb0…

http://stickstoneandbone.com/PiggiesMS100.jpg

ecoharmonystore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/…

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pomaire pottery

Thank you for the links. They are beautiful!

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pomaire pottery

For cooking, you will want the already seasoned ones. Those are dark or blackened vs. reddish-brown.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 01:18
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pomaire pottery

I love Pomaire. Dusty little town full of potters and remarkably cheap. I've had more than a few pieces break in luggage over the years but also had plenty survive. Great spot to just wander and grab some lunch. Couple of nice typical Chilean restaurants in town.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pomaire pottery

For lunch I would choose the Parillada Argentina on the road into Melipilla close to the turn off for Pomaire. Great steaks and pisco sours.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pomaire pottery

turismoruralchile.cl/artesania/…20english.htm

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=pomaire+chile

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pomaire pottery

I would also endorse Parillada Argentina on the main road, but if you are in Pomaire itself at lunchtime there are two restaurants close to each other right in the centre.

One is on the corner of the main street. If you turn into the side road past that restaurant there is another one just on the right. We got there as they were unloading the enpanadas from the oven. Superb.

The waiter carried the cazuela as if he had the crown jewels in his hand.

Authentic Chilean cooking with pastel de choclo.

Going there in the next month and already drowning in the juices !

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pomaire pottery

Thanks so much for all the recommendations.

Is Parillada Argentina a chain? If I remember correctly there was one in the Paine area.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pomaire pottery

Yes they are a small chain. My first experience of one was near Mallocco on what was the main route from Talagante into Santiago before they built the auto route.

Eaten there every time we go to Chile. According to their advert I have on my den wall they are located at Ruta 78 Km.26 Penaflor, Ruta 78 Km60 Melipilla (the one mentioned), and Altamirano 2198 Vitacura.

Very happy cows as the meat is superb.

(Not an advert by the way, and not connected other than as a very happy customer, unfortunately not often enough ! I am 7000 miles away but going to Chile for three weeks the week after next and definately calling in on at least one)

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pomaire pottery

Thank you for the tips on Pomaire. I was able to visit and purchased several pieces of cookware. I had to prevent myself from buying up one of each! I bought two small bowls and two large ones (one with a lid). Now to figure out how to get it home!