We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Chile

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tuckahoe, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Chile

Wondering if anyone can give me an update on this. Looks like there are no cabs from the airport to Santiago. Is it best to rent a car?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Chile

Of course, there are cabs and buses from the airport. There are kiosks just beyond customs where you can buy a ticket either for a cab or for a shared minibus. The fare depends on which part of the city you are headed for. You can also rent a car. If you are going to Valparaiso you can also get a taxi at the airport.

Tuckahoe, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Chile

Thanks for that reply. I did read that about no taxis at the airport on a website and thought it was bad info. Glad I asked.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Chile

I recently spent two weeks traveling throughout Chile and found renting a car and self driving the way to go. We started in Patagonia and rented a car in Punta Arenas and drove up to Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine. No problems at all. Not a lot of roads to get lost on but it allowed us to travel at our pace and see what we wanted to see and when and for how long we wanted.

After flying up to Puerto Montt we rented another car and drove up to the lake district, Pucon, then over to the Pacific coast, next up to the Santa Clara wine country and finally back into Santiago. The only trick was knowing the exits off Ruta 5 (the Panamerican Highway). Most roads have route numbers associated with them but none of the exits list route numbers, only the names of towns/cities off the exit. Other than this driving in Chile is no problem and I would advise it highly if you like to go at your own pace and see things that are not right off the major routes. I speak and read very little Spanish and still found self driving hassle free. Santiago was a bit of a challenge but with eight million people one should expect some trying driving. A lot of one way streets but once you get the hang of it even Santiago was very drivable.

Now, having learned to drive in Boston MA, and living my last six years driving in NYC I probably have a different perspective about driving but if you can handle driving in a major city you'll be fine in Chile.

4. Re: Driving in Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2013, 10:38