We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

NZ
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

I read somewhere you able to catch a bus to a subway, then onto Santiago? Is this true or is the only way by bus? If so can anyone tell me which is the better mode of transport and roughly the cost of the two ways of getting in to the city? We are staying at the Holiday Inn at the airport.

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

You also have the alternative of taking a taxi. There are buses rot the Pajaritos metro station and to the bus terminal near the Estacion Central.w

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

You also have the alternative of taking a taxi. There are buses rot the Pajaritos metro station and to the bus terminal near the Estacion Central.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

Centropuerto bus, aprox. $1.400 pesos. Tur transfer bus, aprox. $1.700 pesos cheaper f you buy RT. Price is the same wether you get on/off at the Pajaritos Metro or Universidad de Santiago Metro (the Alameda bus terminal). Standard non-peak Metro fares have recently increased to 600 pesos per trip.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

I was there just a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember the exact price, but I used a taxi and it wasn't a horrific price. However, I was staying downtown and not at the airport. It might be a bit much if you used it everyday. Whatever advice you get here, I would check with the hotel staff. They've got people making the trip everyday (their employees for example). Santiago is one of the more expensive cities I've been to on this trip, but bus fares are pretty cheap.

WQst

http://youtu.be/zC4WHni_B8Y

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

Yes, don't trust any info here and do trust everything the Chile minimum wage, never even traveled to the airport hotel staffer tells you.

P M
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

Transvip.cl is a transfer company that works at the airport almost 24 hours a day. You can share a van with 5-7 people for $10 USD more or less and it will drop you at the door of where you want to go. Faster and better than the bus plus metro and you only spend about $5 USD more. I use it every time to and from the airport.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
1,941 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

Another vote for Trans VIP. We used it a few times in December and couldn't have been happier.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

just returned from Chile. Took a cab to our hotel for $36. when we returned we took the turBus. much cheaper. the subways are easy to navigate.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

FYI, there are two routes for the Tur Airport Transfer bus.

The one that terminates at their office on Moneda street will be the better choice if the goal is to start your tour or end it near the Moneda Presidential Palace. The other terminates at the Tur-Bus terminal in Santiago, also known as Terminal Alameda which connects in the basement level to the Universidad de Santiago Metro train station. Both will stop at Pajaritos bus/Metro train station before proceeding to their final destination.

I do not recommend the cheaper Centropuerto bus as the buses are more worn and are heavily used by commuters who work near or at the airport. You also have to know where to get off and on as it makes multiple street stops like a normal bus.

southampton, UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to downtown Santiago from Airport

We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel in Providencia. Go to the desk inside the terminal - can't remember what it was called but we needed to drop by another hotel to pick up a case we had left there before going onto a new hotel. If we had gone direct to second hotel it would have been 18,000 pesos, but they charged us an extra 3,000 pesos but it was worth it for the hassle.

We also went to Valparaiso with TurBus from Universidad de Chile bus station rather than|Pajaritos. It seems chaotic but they are well organised. The metro is also excellent - it seems that wherever you are going to it costs 1,200 pesos for 2!

We are in our 60's and I speak spanish so it was easier.

Get answers to your questions about Santiago