We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a Sunday?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on a Sunday?

We have planned a trip to South America in April and our final stop before flying home will be 2 nights in Santiago.

We will be arriving quite late on Saturday night (around 11:30pm) and only have the full day on Sunday to explore Santiago before flying home on Monday.

I had a few questions on the best way to spend our limited time:

- I know people eat dinner late in Chile, but is 12am pushing it? will anything be open at that time for a very very late dinner or will we have to order room service in our hotel?

- is much open around the city on Sundays like shopping centres, markets etc?

- alternatively, we thought we might do a day tour to one of the wine regions on Sunday or to Valparaiso;

-will any wineries be open on Sundays for tasting/lunch etc?

- is it worth visitng Valparaiso on a Sunday? not sure if anything will be open...?

Any other tips/ideas on what to do with our time would be great. We're not too fussed about doing a city tour as my husband often travels to Santiago for business so has done most of the tourist sites.

Any recommendations for great restaurants for lunch or dinner that open on Sunday would be great too - i've heard the food in Chile is amazing!! but also that many restaurants close on Sundays.

ps. not confirmed where we're staying yet but are looking at hotels around the providencia area.

Sousas Tour
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Huaso Tours & Bike Rental
Private Tours, Day Trips, Bike Tours, City Tours
EasyBici E-Bike Tours
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
VH Chile Tour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a Sunday?

Midnight is pushing it for dinner. Most places are open on Sundays. Small stores may be closed. The wineries will be open for lunch. Expect popular restuarants to be crowded. Going out for Sunday lunch is very common. I would stay around Santiago, if you want to see something of the city.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a Sunday?

LATE DINNER: Try Patio Bellavista. It is normally fairly lively until 1am or 2pm. Especially on a Saturday!

SUNDAY: The shopping malls and local stores are all open on a Sunday. But don't come to Santiago to shop! A visit to a vineyard would be a great way to spend Sunday. Indomita offers a very nice lunch and enjoys great views across the Casablanca valley. However, teh setting at Casas del Bosque is probably more romantic. In either casse be sure to ask for a table outside on the patio. Alternatively try a city tour. The tour buses run from the Parque Arauco shopping mall next to the Marriott Hotel (Avenida Presidente Kennedy).

Edited: 16 February 2012, 01:56
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a Sunday?

u can join a half day trip to Valle Nevado to see the amazing condor birds with the Andes mountain in the background....the tour finish around 1-ish n they can drop u off at Parque Arauco, a big shopping mall, or back to your hotel. Or do a half day winery tour...In the afternoon perhaps spend time at a lively Plaza des Armas surrounded with many historical buildings...u can see plenty of street performances....n the square is very crowded on sunday...

Edited: 16 February 2012, 16:23
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a Sunday?

Agree with Aventura1405. Patio Bellavista for dinner is always good. Casas del Bosque for your wine tour is just an hour away and always open. You could do a tasting without tour and then lunch at Viña Morande if you wanted. Valparaiso is great to visit, but I would recommend a night there if you can because it is surreal.

5. Re: What to do on a Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:08
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor