We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

My flight lands at 2am and I then have a connecting 13:30 flight that day. My initial thought is allowing an hour to clear customs I would be leaving the airport after 3am only to be back for my connecting flight at 10:30 am. Is there any lounge I can check into or is it pretty much find a hotel room for 5 hours of sleeping? Any suggestion is going to be helpful.

Rick

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

There is a Holiday Inn in the airport grounds and a Diego de Almagro or Hilton within a few minutes in a shuttle. After a very long flight, you might find it worth your while to book a room even for a few short hours. At that hour of the morning you should be through customs very quickly. The lounges are not open 24 hrs, I think. Actually sleeping in the airport is possible but not ideal. If your second flight is international, you can just stay in the transit lounge.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=3&country=Chile&city=Santiago+de+Chile&terminal=SCL#.UPKxPKWSLZt

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

Remember that if you exit the transit area you will have to pay the reciprocity fee

Vancouver
Level Contributor
38 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

A few years ago now, my friend and I passed a fairly decent overnight layover (at least 5 hours) between connecting LAN flights from Lima to Mendoza (international flights), we just stayed at departure gate.

It was't overly comfortable, but at least there weren't arm rests to prevent you from stretching out, and no one suggested we needed to move. Assuming they haven't renovated recently, I wouldn't bother leaving the airport.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

Definitely DONT bother with a hotel!! My husband and I landed at 9 p.m. and would have had to return for a 6 a.m. flight. And the really bad thing about Santiago Airport is that the check in lines are long and slow. Really long and slow. So you'd have to arrive at least a couple hours early just to be safe. We had originally booked a night at the Hilton Garden, but ended up cancelling our reservation so we could just get a few hours of sleep at the airport. There are some lounge areas on either side of the check in counters, but these were crowded and full of people (plus loud tvs with a soccer/football game on). Go down on the elevator to the next lower level (I think this is the level where you would exit from baggage claim) and this is much quieter and, especially at night/early morning, there are hardly any people down here. There are rows of cushioned seats that you can sprawl out on comfortably and it is pretty quiet down there too. We were very glad that we didn't try to deal with catching the airport shuttles and paying the money only for a few hours of sleep--sleeping at the airport was so convenient and once we found the location I just described to you, we were able to actually get a good few hours in. And then in the morning you can just eat at the restaurant that's right there.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

Thanks this is a big help

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

dueto flight delay we only had an hour wait so it all worked out in the end. Thanks for your reply

7. Re: Can you sleep at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 05:16