We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Santiago?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Santiago?

My husband and I are planning on spending about 3 nights in Santiago at the end of April. What neighborhoods are best to stay in so that we can walk or take public transportation to many attractions, and also safe? Also, is it better to take public transportation or taxis from the airport to the hotel or hostel?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

I usually stay at the Vegas. But that's because I always seem to have an early morning flight and I can walk from there to where the airport bus leaves from. But it's a pretty dull area at night so I usually have to take the metro to somewhere livelier for dinner. If I had the choice I'd probably prefer to stay in the Providencia district, close to the metro. You can get the airport bus and transfer to the metro at the Pajaritos stop. It's what I'll be doing tomorrow coming from Valparaiso!

Santiago is regarded as a safe city, generally speaking, and the metro is easy to use. Fares do vary depending on the time of day, though.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

This information may be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/…45552343

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

It requires a change from bus to Metro to use public transport from the airport. a taxi is the better option. Staying in Providencia is a good option there is a large choice in hotels, including large chains, medium size and expensive boutiques. many people like the Hotel Orly. It is older, but well located.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

My wife and I just left Santiago for Buenos Aires on the 30th of Jan. We have also stayed, and would recommend, the Orly. The only thing I might suggest is that you request one of their apartments, located just down the street from the hotel.....it offers more space, cost less $'s than most of the rooms @ the Orly. The area around the Orly (Provedencia) is safe, with many choices of restaurants within a 2 blk radius....but use "street smarts" like you should anywhere. As for getting from the airport to town (and return) we bit the bullet and took a taxi....cost a little more but you go directly to your destination...after a glass of vino the pain of the price of the taxi will have been forgotten. PS: breakfast is included when you stay at the apartments, you just need to walk back to the hotel. Another hotel option in SCL is the Loreto in the Bellavista area...less $'s, but not as nice of surroundings.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

We are a family of 4 planning a trip to Santiago the week of the US Thanksgiving, We live in San Francisco and Los Angeles Ca. Mom, Dad, daughter 26 and Son 30. Suggestions as to which neighborhood to stay in. All are traveled and do not want a US Marriott stay.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

Please read the above information I provided before.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

I think you would be very happy at the Hotel Orly apartments...NOT Marriott style hotel and very nice area.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

Thanks. We are looking into an apartment. That is what we generally do, more space and usually nicer for less money. Trying to determine the best neighborhood within Santiago.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

Providencia or Lastarria are the best neighbourhoods for seeing the city.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Santiago?

I recommend anywhere in Las Condes or Providencia. There is easy access to the Metro and busses and of course taxis are plentiful. Also easy walking to San Cristobal Hill and lots of services like ATM's and restaurants. Tree-lined streets and cleaner than down town. I stayed at the Rent-a-Home Suites and didn't like the place - it has old, rundown units on Ebro. I moved to the RQ Providencia Suites because they have a pool, but I am having issues with my AC and internet access so not sure if I can recommend it. Ive stayed at the Plaza El Bosque and their facilities are very nice but I am not sure what your price range is.