We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

Hi:

Me, my wife and our 8-yr old are planning on making a trip to Easter Island and Santiago in mid-April 2014. I am using my airline miles to buy the tickets; hence the need to plan a year in advance. This is the itinerary that I have come up with, but I don't know what I can do on days 8 and 9 in Santiago, or if I should make any day trips that will be fun and relaxing for the entire family. I have yet to buy my return ticket so I am open to adding or removing a day.

Day 1: Depart from New York.

Day 2: Arrive in Easter Island. See Easter Island.

Day 3: See Easter Island.

Day 4: See Easter Island.

Day 5: See Easter Island.

Day 6: Arrive in Santiago. See Santiago.

Day 7: See Santiago.

Day 8:

Day 9:

Day 10: Leave Santiago

Day 11: Arrive in New York.

Thanks,

D

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

Some suggestions take a day trip to Valparaiso, visit the millennial pottery village Pomaire, take a trip into the Andes, see a little more of Santiago.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

I am reading scary stories about crime in Valparaiso. Sure, all cities have crime, but I'm reading that Valparaiso is a tad more crime-prone -- daylight muggings, purse/backpack snatching, etc. Is the level of crime exaggerated? I'm traveling with my family so I'm more concerned.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 15:45
College Station...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

We are going on a very similar trip next week: a week in Easter Island, followed by a week in Santiago, with my husband and our 2y.o.. Remind me in late June, and I'll send you my notes (and pictures) from the trip.

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

You will LOVE Easter Island! It was a fantastic trip. I have a bunch of blog posts that can get you revved up and help with planning and tips here: journeysbyjill.com/category/easter-island/

On a separate trip we flew in to Santiago, rented a car and drove to a town called ConCon on the coast a bit north of Vina del Mar. We passed many wineries and pretty countryside. Another idea is even though it will only be fall, you can probably drive up to the ski areas that are above Santiago.

You can see what we did on that short trip here: journeysbyjill.com/2011/…

Have a great trip! I'm happy to help if I can.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

There are pickpockets, bag snatchers in Valparaíso, but asaltos are not common. There was one one a drunk British tourist at 2.30 am in 2011. The perpetrators were caught immediately.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

The itinerary is good. In Santiago area you could visit Valparaiso, maybe Isla Negra and Pomaire or the Andes range. Chile is the most safe country in South America. In valparaiso can have some pickpockets, but asaltos are not common. Have you already choose a local agency?

If not, I reccommend www.chiletraveltours.com or www.protourschile.com

Regards

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

You could go to Cascadas del Las Animas a little ways outside the city. It might be a nice retreat from the big city.

8. Re: 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 07:19