We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuts, etc restricted?

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Nuts, etc restricted?

A travel partner just told me that you cannot bring nuts, dried or fresh fruit, honey, or granola bars from the United States into Santiago because they are restricted. Is this correct? Thanks.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

These are the pages of the government agency website with general guideines of what you can and cannot bring in.

sag.cl/ambitos-de-accion/productos-de-origen…

sag.cl/ambitos-de-accion/productos-de-origen…

Because it is impossible to cover every brand and its contents of things like granola bars, they may or may not be allowed in. Shelled nuts, commercially packed are usually fine but not those in the shell. Absolutely no fresh fruit. Commercially packed dried fruit is usually allowed. I think you will find that honey is pretty much not allowed by most countries with a honey industry. All the above items are easily available in Chile and the honey is very good indeed.

If you are bringing any food into Chile, whether you think it is alright or not, tick the form you are given to fill in before landing to indicate you have some food to declare. Keep it all easily accessible so an agent can have a look. That way you avoid any fines, which are very high.

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

Thank you!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

I had a bag of unopened Ocean Spray craisins and an unopened bag of packaged walnuts and both were confiscated in Santiago. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to why they took those.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

Raisins or similar being just dried fruit can be considered like raw seeds or fruit to the Agro vigilantes. Raw walnuts would definitely be confiscated packaged or not. Whether the official wants to spend time determining cooked from raw, variable. Even commercial packaged whole peppercorns are not allowed in as it is a "seed".

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

Thanks everybody!! I just got back from Santiago (Wonderful Place!) and they allowed me to bring in "prepackaged granola bars". From other on-line reading and your responses, I think that it just depends on who is there at the time you are going through customs.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,270 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

The controls are specific not by chance. Granola bars are permitted as the nuts and fruit are caramelized not raw.

7. Re: Nuts, etc restricted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:16