We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to centro or providencia

geneva
Level Contributor
95 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to centro or providencia

Hi

Are taxis as reasonably priced as in other South America countries?

What is the price range to expect for the airport to providencia area?

Thank you

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,662 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

Around US$35-40. Tickets are sold at kiosks just outside Customs.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

Or you can take a shared transfer van to any address. Providencia is probably around US$10 per person.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

Where do I find shared transfer vans to/from airport to Providencia? Do I have to reserve online or are they easy to find in the airport?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

No need to reserve. I think they have a counter inside the customs area just after your luggage is scanned but, if not, just outside Arrivals to the left. Either Delfos or Transvip will do.

aeropuertosantiago.cl/medios-de-transporte-d…

http://www.transvip.cl/centropuerto

http://www.transferdelfos.cl/index.php

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

Hello,

A shared van will cost you around USD $12.00 to Providencia. I personally prefer Transvip but all the companies that have a counter just outside Arrivals are licensed and safe to use.

If you decide to take a taxi, use only Taxi Oficial. They have a booth just after baggage claim/customs, before the exit doors. Taxi Oficial have set prices (in Chilean pesos and USD) for the different Santiago zones. Do not take any other taxi (at the airport) or you could be scammed.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
38 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

During our last visit to Santiago (last week) we use the official taxi. A counter is available after you exit the customs scanner (before the automatic exit door). You may pay using a credit card in USD (in this case you do not pay the local tax). Another tip is do the reservation and payment - at the same counter - for your return to the airport. Doing the reservation you receive a 10% discount. In Santiago the taxis do not have meters so take care and verify the price for your destinantion before boarding.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

For airport taxis: when you pay for an official taxi you are given a receipt for the correct amount. The driver does not receive any money directly. Tipping is not customary with taxis in Chile, although people will round off an amount. In the case of the official airport taxis, no tip is necessary.

>>In Santiago the taxis do not have meters so take care and verify the price for your destinantion before boarding.<<

All ordinary taxis in Chile must use a meter by law; taxis you hail on the street, radio taxis you order on the phone - they all have meters. Do not use any "taxi" which does not have a meter. Ordinary taxis are black and yellow. Radio taxis look like normal sedans. Both must have orange license plates in order to transport passengers.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

When you make return reservation, do you just tell them the time/date to show up? Or you just prepay but have to call them to schedule it later? Since I do not speak Spanish it might be quite difficult for me to make a call :D

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

I would prepay and call a day before to set time and place. I am sure someone at your lodging can make the call for you.

Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to centro or providencia

This is excellent information to know - thank you dancingmolly.