We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

South Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

What is a reasonable amount to pay for a one way car trip with and English Speaking driver to go from Santiago to Mendoza on 1 January and then to return to Santiago on 5 January?

We want to spend a couple of days in Mendoza without a driver, but we want a driver to transport us between the cities. We could rent a car but I think I'd rather see the scenery as a passenger.

What would be a fair price for my wife and me? We'd each have two suitcases... so a compact car is a no-no.

Thanks for any prompt authoritative estimates!!!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

A few thoughts. The customs at Libertadores will be extremely busy on the 1st of January, so expect a very long wait.

This thread is from 2009 but will give you an idea of what a private transfer might cost. If you want a driver who also speaks English, you will be looking at much more.

tripadvisor.com/…22858255

There are companies in Mendoza which do tours from Mendoza to Santiago. Two I remember are Malbec Symphony and Grape Vine Tours. Prices on request. They both have websites, so you could contact them and enquire about the cost. There might be Chilean companies which do the same but I don't know any.

As a passenger on a bus you would be able to see the views and it usually works better than renting a car unless you are used to high mountain roads. You could investigate taking the bus one way and a car and driver the other.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

DancingMolly!

Thanks very much for your prompt reply and the link. Your observation about holiday traffic at the border crossing is super appreciated: It seems so obvious now that you mentioned it!

My quandary is what to do with our 28 Dec arrival at Valparaiso and our 8 Jan departure from there. (We arrive on one ship and depart on another.) We will stay at the Ritz in Santiago, checking out on 2 Jan. While at the Ritz (besides 'breaking our bank account!) we will take day trips arranged by our travel partners.

But from 2 Jan we are on our own and my travel agent is intent on seeing us spend $500 per nite. Which is more than we want to spend.

Can you suggest sights/towns, B&Bs, Estancias etc where we can enjoy some quiet but uniquely Chilean experiences? Surely thee is more to the area than Valparaiso and Santiago?

Again, thanks for your prompt and useful reply!

Have a fun and safe week!

AikenBill

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

Ask your agent about booking you somewhere in the Colchagua wine valley. There is a variety of lodging, some in vineyards. Get them moving on it as it is a busy time of year. A car would be useful there as you can take yourselves to both vineyards and exploring that area of central Chile, which is nice. Another possibility is Tumañan Lodge which offers different activities south of Santiago and can arrange some wine tours as well. Mapuyampay is also a nice destination.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294291-i1357-k583…

South Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

Great ideas!

I will do as you suggest.. have fun this week and (always) be safe!

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

Regarding the Santiago - Mendoza - Santiago trip, have you considering going by plane?

I just simulated flights for 2 on LAN.com and it would be USD $368.00 final price.

Seeing the Andes from the air is breathtaking and it would be MUCH faster. The wait at customs has taken up to 6 or 8 hours during high season.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

But would not the customs wait at the airports also be terrible?

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

No, customs line at SCL always moves quickly even during the morning crush period.

8. Re: One way Car hires: Santiago to Mendoza and Return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 05:16