We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transvip or Taxi Oficial

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transvip or Taxi Oficial

I noticed a slight difference in prices for prepaid taxis between these 2 companies - any preference based on experience? Or should I just go with whichever is cheaper?

So, I need to prepay in the baggage claim area, right?

Now, is the location of these counters the same in the domestic terminal as well? Or is there no difference between domestic and international arrival terminals?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

The taxis are priced for up to three people and the transfer vans are per person. If it is just you, the transfer will always be cheaper, but you might have to wait for others to be dropped off before you.

It is one big terminal with international arrivals at one end and national at the other. There are desks inside customs for international arrivals and also desks in the terminal on arrivals level for both national and international arrivals. Do not take a taxi you do not book at a desk. Pirate taxi drivers like to hang a sign saying "oficial" around their necks.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

I think the OP is talking about the private car service also offered by TransVIP. Yeah, with TransVIP you can book an individual van for your family or a conventional car. The van would be good with lots of luggage. Don't know currently what the difference between TransVIP and OfficalTaxi sedans are. Possibly newer, less used? Maybe someone who has used both recently can comment.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 15:30
usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

Ok, are ATMs easily seen before getting to the baggage claim area from international arrivals? Or in the baggage claim area? Need to withdraw CLP before getting to the pre-pay desk

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

I can't remember if there are ATM's before baggage claim, but you can pay with credit card

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

I remember there is a money changer because I once changed it, but that was almost 3 yrs back, I would think its still there. The rates are terrible as compared to withdrawing from ATM. In case u want to change some, just change enough for the taxi fare.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

Remember, both the official taxi, TransVIP/Delfos have desks in the public arrivals area and will charge the same price into Santiago as the desks in the secure area.

I believe there may be one ATM either before you go down to the reciprocity fee/immigrations area or upon going down to the reciprocity fee/immigrations area. This ATM will charge a Chile-side fee of aprox. $2500 pesos. Not sure about after immigrations in the baggage claim area. Hopefully, someone can report on the current setup.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 15:08
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

Both companies are responsible. Taxi Oficial only offers private sedans, while Transvip has shared and private minivans, and private sedans. I would usually get Transvip, as they had a cheaper private car service and only on one occasion they didn't have any vehicles available. So I went next door to Taxi Oficial and paid a bit more.

You prepay in the baggage area. No money is tendered to the driver. Just the receipt they'll give you at the counter.

Both terminals have counters in the baggage claim area, which means you can avoid having to deal with unauthorized drivers who will call out and bug you when you go into the public area.

8. Re: Transvip or Taxi Oficial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:16