We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

I only had the one day in Santiago so had to make it count. The weather cooperated.

By a lucky accident I chose Hotel Lastarria, and chanced upon this excellent guide which fit my needs completely: santiagotourist.com/central-barrios-walking-…

Since I was in Lastarria, I started instead at the Cerro Santa Lucia, which was a good idea as it meant I could be climbing before it got too hot. Lovely views from the top, then down the other side towards Santa Lucia. The artisan market was just opening up so I did a bit of shopping there. Then strolled towards Londres/ Paris Streets (where was also situated the Hotel Vegas!). Walking past the University of Chile, I found La Moneda (the Mint). A suitably imposing building although with the plaza in front under construction not a great photo op. Behind the Mint is the business district, a nice area to wander about (several cambios or moneychangers here if you need, you can compare rate before you buy). From here I went north on Bandera St. The museum of Pre-Colombian Art is here but unfortunately closed for renovations. The closer you get to Plaza De Armas the more crowded it gets. Plenty of police about but still watch for pickpockets. Plaza De Armas is great, lively. I saw, variously, a college fair for graduating students, a traditional dance competition, a police brigade, some street preachers, performance artists and ordinary folks enjoying the sunshine. I keep going north and hit Mercado Central. I found it too touristy so quickly came out again and instead, crossed the river to the Mercado De Abastos Tirso De Molina and headed upstairs for lunch. Alas it turned out to be indifferent ceviche (C$6,000). Went downstairs for some fresh juice, much better (C$1,000). Wandering back south towards Armas, I head east, back towards Lastarria. It's now a scorching 37 degrees, so time for some ice-cream. I find Emporio La Rosa, the best ice-cream in Santiago, at the corner of Merced and Monjitas, and get two scoops for C$2 (US$4). I pick honey and chocolate with peppers. Both are excellent. I enjoy my ice-cream in the Park Forestal, serene in the shade. From there it is an easy stroll to Museo De Bellas Artes, another architectural gem, and some fun shopping in the funky little boutiques in the area. Finally, an early evening dinner of tapas and wine at Boca Nariz where I can enjoy great Chilean wine while people-watching and then a five minute stroll back to my hotel.

A perfect day in Santiago.

Mentioned in this post
Lastarria Boutique Hotel
Lastarria Boutique Hotel
744 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Hotel Vegas
Hotel Vegas
302 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Bellas Artes
Bellas Artes
29 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Hotel Santa Lucia
Hotel Santa Lucia
149 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
La Moneda
La Moneda
6,852 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Plaza de Armas
Plaza de Armas
4,119 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Cerro Santa Lucia
Cerro Santa Lucia
16,491 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Mercado Central
Mercado Central
412 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Emporio La Rosa
Emporio La Rosa
1,437 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Chile
Chile
South America
Corpartes El Centro de las Artes 660
Art Galleries, Performances, Theatres
Teatro Del Puente
Performances, Theatres
Onaciu
Performances, Concerts
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

A nice day. You got that very hot day, so I am full of admiration that you did all that walking.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

awesome BV. If u like Lastarria u may want to check out Bella Vista area too. Pablo Neruda museum is somewhere near there. Plenty of restaurant in Bella Vista area. San Cristobal hill is not too far away. Though it could be foggy to see much. Though watch out for the many cyclists in San Cristobal, some looking to grab your stuffs away..

U may also want to check out the old city of Santiago. U can join the free walking tour (just pay the tips) or wander around. For some modern side, check out Costanera shopping mall. Emporio la Rosa is at the upper floor. Providencia area is nice too..

Edited: 12 November 2013, 00:47
Mentioned in this post
Lastarria Boutique Hotel
Lastarria Boutique Hotel
744 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Providencia Bed & Breakfast
Providencia Bed...
132 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Hotel Neruda
Hotel Neruda
667 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Emporio La Rosa
Emporio La Rosa
1,437 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

<<You got that very hot day, so I am full of admiration that you did all that walking.>>..

we come from a tropical climate country close to the equator, hot and humid all year round.. lol..

Brisbane Queensland...
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

Thanks for a very useful contribution.

I'm staying at the Lastarria in January and have only one full day to "find" Santiago

Mentioned in this post
Lastarria Boutique Hotel
Lastarria Boutique Hotel
744 Reviews
Santiago, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

There are some very good walking tours, paid or for tips, of Santiago if you don't want to go it alone.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

I followed one of the Spicy Chile's walking tours.. yeah there are some very good walking tours out there.. they bring u to some hidden gems which otherwise we will miss..

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

Thanks for this.wasn't sure what area to stay in,this sounds like a good base.also,not a big fan of touristy areas ,so thanks for the heads up

8. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:35
9. Re: Trip report - a perfect day in Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:32