We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

We are two women whose plan currently takes us from Santiago to Puerto Montt/Puerto Varas on 11/26 via Sky Airline, returning to Santiago on 11/30 for our flight home to the US. We are reconsidering those four days in PM/PV in light of the cold, rainy weather, and wondering about other options for travel elsewhere via Sky (if they would allow us to change our destination, not a sure thing by any means). We are interested in easy walking, food and wine, crafts, and local culture--nothing strenuous. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on the ease of changing flights on Sky? We have X and Z fares. Many thanks.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

Even so, I would opt for Puerto Varas and area over the Atacama.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

La Serena is a nice little beach town. And u can do many day trips out of the town. But Puerto Varas has its charm.

CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

We've decided to take our chances in PV, and it looks like the weather will cooperate. Thanks for the encouragement! More to follow.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

If u are interested in crafts and local culture u can spend half a day at Puerto Montt, only 20 min. away from Puerto Varas.. plenty of local buses plying between these two towns., there is a vibrant fish market and a large souvenir market in Puerto Montt, they are next to each other.,

CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

Thank you so much to those who encouraged us to come to the lakes. The volcano has been in full sun all day and I am absolutely overwhelmed by the vistas from my lakefront room at the Hotel Bellavista. Much more to follow in my trip report--just wanted to say a quick thank you.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

The lakes are awesome! Because of work schedules we can only come in November and we love it so much we invested here in the lake region and have been coming at this time of year forever. It is often cool and damp but never so cold that there is snow on the ground any time of year and often as I am sure you found there are glorious clear warm days.

7. Re: Warmer climes in Northern Chile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17