We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Questions for my 2 nights in Santiago

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
2 Questions for my 2 nights in Santiago

Howdy folks,

I am an Aussie, and Irish, and keen to know which passport will get me into Chile cheaper/free.

I have 2 nights at the end of my Brazil/Argentina trip, and keen to have 1 full in Santiago seeing the markets/shopping and just feeling the difference in street vibe. Wasn't intending upon it, but seeing as I'm flying LAN, it seemed like a smart move and an experience to enjoy.

Where should I stay? Aiming for $100 per night, value cleanliness and comfort, but the area is by far the most important aspect as I only have 1 day (and 2 nights). I am female, traveling alone, and would even love to go to a gay bar/club for a drink after my day's shopping. Which area/barrio should I aim for, what hotels would you suggest, and perhaps yould could even tell me if there's anything of a gay/lesbian scene?

Thanks for the help on any/all topics! :)

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Questions for my 2 nights in Santiago

Aim for Lastarria/Bellas Artes area. One possibility would be the Andes Hostel which offers private rooms with bath, www.andeshostel.com.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Questions for my 2 nights in Santiago

G'day ... er, Top o' the Morning to you!

If you lawfully can do it, traveling under an Irish or European Union passport likely will save you paying the Reciprocity Fee, an arrival tax the Chileans (and Argentines as well) charge to Australians, Canadians, and US passport holders.

At Santiago Merino Airport (SCL) arriving passengers on international flights pass under an illuminated sign bearing Australian, Canadian, and US flags. We're directed to a booth where we must pay the tax. Ignore this sign, and you'll find that the border patrol will unceremoniously tell you to go back to the booth and pay, wasting all the time you've spent queued up in the passport control line.

If you aren't traveling on one of the flags shown on the sign, you don't have to pay.

David

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Questions for my 2 nights in Santiago

Great advice, and some cute humour, too. Thanks!

Looking forward to my mini-trip in Chile!

4. Re: 2 Questions for my 2 nights in Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:18