We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providencia neighborhood information

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Providencia neighborhood information

Hello, I am looking for some assistance in selecting a location to stay in when we visit Santiago. I read a Santiago neighborhood guide and Providencia seems like it may have what we are looking for. Can you please tell me what specific areas of Providencia I should research, or if there is another neighborhood that fits our needs?

Our wish list-

close to public transit

cafes with sidewalk seating

wine bars and coffee shops

used book stores

small boutiques instead of national stores

urban, may be considered trendy

movie theater that shows independent or art films

I know we may not be able to get everything on the list but hopefully there is a neighborhood in Santiago that has some or most of these items.

We are looking at renting through AirBnB so if you know of a few streets I can check out on the map that would be really helpful.

Thanks very much for helping me plan our trip!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

Providencia covers a huge area. Bellavista is part of it. But for what you want, I would say either between the Tobalaba metro station and the Pedro de Valdivia metro station and whatever you consider walking distance to either side of Av Providencia between them, or the Lastarria area near the Cerro Santa Lucia. Lastarria would have the cinema, El Biografo, which the other area does not.

barriolastarria.com/plano_ubicacion_barrio_l…

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
176 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

Keep I mind that I have not yet stayed in the place, but we chose a place on Nueva de Lyon from airbnb after asking the same questions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

Thank you dancingmolly for your assistance in planning our trip. I'll take a look at the airbnb map and see if I can get a place near any of those areas. You have been extremely helpful with this and my other used clothing thread. Thank you!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

I stayed at Meridiano Sur Petit Hotel in Providencia and had a wonderful experience. It's very close to public transit and within walking distance of a lot of restaurants. The hotel itself had great character and was very safe. It's not Airbnb but it is still a nice, intimate lodging option.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

I will check that out, islandgirl. Usually we like to use airbnb because we are not night life people. After dinner and a nice stroll we like to spend our evenings back in the room with music and a bottle of wine and it's nicer to have a couch to sit on than sitting on the bed in a hotel room. Airbnb is good for this because often hotel suites are pretty pricey. Also, with an airbnb kitchen we don't have to go out to eat in restaurants for every meal.

On the other hand, since our Spanish skills are pretty basic there is something nice about having a hotel front desk to work with so I'll see what they offer.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 15:16
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

My husband and I will be staying hotel Orly which I think is close to metro station in Pedro de Valvidvia. How do we purchase the ticket and how does it work? Where are the attractions we can travel around Providence using the underground metro? We are from the USA. We are still looking for self tour in Santiago for 2 days prior to our cruise, any input will help. We do not mind looking for tour though we like to take time where we visit. Thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

Connie, I took the metro from Providencia to the Los Dominicos Artisans Village, which is a really neat place to visit. You can browse all the different artisans shops and pick up souvenirs there. We managed to buy our tickets without speaking a word of Spanish; I think we just told them the stop we were planning to get off at (and there might be an option to say round trip as well). But I think that if my husband and I could do it without understanding the language, you should be perfectly fine.

if you like to walk, you can also walk into the downtown area to some of the major attractions. We walked from Providencia to Cerro Santa Lucia, the Mercado Central, the main plaza, and through the Bellavista neighborhood. This is an all-day itinerary so leave in the morning and take breaks to rest your legs! You don't really need a book a tour to see Santiago, though if you decide to, I highly recommend Santiago Adventures.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

The metro costs the same if you are going one stop, ten stops or even changing lines. Just hold up the correct number of fingers for the number of tickets you want to buy. Price varies by time of day, not distance covered.

Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

Thanks Islandgirl3285 for the info. Is the bus fare then different than the metro? Is it that metro is the only service that BIP card be used? Do the bus drivers take US$ we pay for the bus fare or has to be in exact chilean pesos posted? Thanks

Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Providencia neighborhood information

Thanks dancingmolly for your response. We will be staying in Santiago for 1-1/2 days. Should using metro cover most of the interesting areas for visitors or require bus connections. I cannot seem to locate bus map in Santiago to have an idea of where I stay in Hotel Orly compared to where I may want to go?