We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time at Santiago airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Time at Santiago airport

Hi all

I arrive in Santiago at 7:05am with American Airlines and depart at 9:15am with LAN Chile to get to Mendoza, Argentina. My question is, is this doable as I only have 2hr 10min to offload, get bags and checkin, I am thinking not but my travel agent disagreed. He also said if I do miss it, then I will be put onto the later flight without a cost to me.

Thought I would ask the question as I have never been to Santiago and don't know if this is doable or not.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks

Kelly

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Unless you have two separate tickets - and the fact that your ta said you would be put on a later flight if you missed the first one would indicate not - you can have your luggage tagged through to Mendoza and you just stay in the transit lounge. American and LAN are one world affiliates. Make sure they tag the bags to Mendoza.

If, however, you have 2 separate tickets - say you bought one from the agency and another online by yourself, the flights are not connected and you have to go through passport control, collect luggage and check in again. In that case, you would have a tight connection. Since you would be responsible for making the second flight, I would change to a later flight.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time at Santiago airport

You SHOULD be able to check all the way through even on separate tickets as LAN and American do have an interline agreement. Going back the other way, they may or may not check you all the way through as there is occasionally a "security" excuse (regarding MDZ airport depending on ultimate international destination but seems to really depend on the positions of the planets at checkin) where they may force you to go through immigrations, customs and recheck at SCL for the next international flight.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 13:59
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time at Santiago airport

I have a similar question - I will be arriving at SCL at 10.35 with LAN, and want to get a flight to LPB (also with LAN) at 12.00 ..... Will this be enough time? I am currently thinking probably not...

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Usually not a problem with two LAN flights, they will often hold off onward flight to make connections. They are usually pretty good at Santiago airport with transferring bags. However, less than an hour and a half not ideal anywhere inn the world.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Bring a spare change of clothes in your hand luggage. While you can make it your checked-in luggage may not. LAN while good in the air is not so good when it comes to luggage transfers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Thank you for your tips!

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Does anyone have a MAP of Santiago Airport ( ? I need it for TOMORROW

I have a similar issue as everyone here I will be flying from Sydney Australia to Santiago (LA800) landing at 11:35 and have already booked a ticket to fly from Santiago to Punta Arenes (LA285). I booked the international ticket through STA travel and the domestic ticket through the LAN website. So far over the phone (both STA and LAN) I have not been able to connect the flights to get my baggage sent through, but I am hoping they will be able to do this when I check in at Sydney Airport, TOMORROW! So for the sake of getting through the airport quickly does anyone have a Map of Santiago Airport ?

Edited: 22 November 2014, 12:21
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Does anyone have a MAP of Santiago Airport ( ? I need it for TOMORROW

I have a similar issue as everyone here I will be flying from Sydney Australia to Santiago (LA800) landing at 11:35 and have already booked a ticket to fly from Santiago to Punta Arenes (LA285). I booked the international ticket through STA travel and the domestic ticket through the LAN website. So far over the phone (both STA and LAN) I have not been able to connect the flights to get my baggage sent through, but I am hoping they will be able to do this when I check in at Sydney Airport, TOMORROW! So for the sake of getting through the airport quickly does anyone have a Map of Santiago Airport ?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time at Santiago airport

Just make sure that your bags are tagged to Punta Arenas in Sydney as they are both LAN flights.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time at Santiago airport

You still have to go through passport control and customs.

oneworld.com/airports-destinations/airports-…