We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilean Rent A Car

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
218 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Chilean Rent A Car

We rented a car yesterday with Chilean Rent A Car. We got the cheapest car for 24 hours. I added the extra insurance that waives the deductible and the GPS. The total cost was CLP$27,900. We drove from Santiago to Portillo. We then drove to Valpairaiso via a scenic route and back to Santiago. We drove a total of 520km. We paid about CLP$11,500 in tolls and CLP$24,000 in fuel.

The cheapest car is fine. It made it to the top of Portillo without too much concern. It is weak, but will make it. The added insurance is just for peace of mind when driving in a country like this. The GPS...my phone had data everywhere, but the Maps were not accurate. Unfortunately, neither was the Garmin GPS. Between the two we made it work.

Chilean Rent A Car was easy to deal with. They had plenty of cars to choose from and were not pushy about upgrades. I asked them for the two upgrades. There was always someone there that spoke English, so communication was not an issue either. The chip for local tolls was included at no additional cost. We plan to rent a car again in the next week or so and will use them again.

133 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

I have rented from them various times and always received excellent service.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

Avoid chilean rent a car !

They gave me a nissan double cabin with many problems.

The car stopped at all when i was in the moutain, near Valle Nevado, and as it was sunday the telephone did not work (????????)

At this time, the night was coming and i was with my wife, 2 children and many bags, in a so i needed to rent a particular

The next day, after several calls, they told me that they would send a truck to tow away the car and if i wanted another i should go down the mountain (1:30 h) with the truck and go to the agency !!!!!!!!!!

Finally, at the end of the day, the truck driver suceed to repair the car, and the company manager told me that they would give me a compensation for all, but, as i could realize, it was a big lie !

Chilean Rent s Car, NEVER MORE !!!!!!!!

Tandil, Argentina
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

UNA BUENA EXPERIENCIA: Alquilé un auto chico por 4 días con un costo de 96.552 chilenos y con entrega en Aeropuerto a las 20,30 hs. Al momento de ver el débito en la tarjeta de crédito el mismo era de 108.464 por lo que escribí a la Empresa y me dijeron que la diferencia correspondía por ser la entrega fuera de horario en días feriados que es a las 19 hs. Entendí la situación pero en realidad había entregado el vehículo antes de las 19 horas, envié un comprobante del estacionamiento en el aeropuerto donde figuraba la hora de ingreso y me reintegraron la diferencia. Realmente me resultó una muy buena experiencia y recomiendo esta empresa.

Fraser, Michigan...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

During your road trip did you come across any cheap but safe accommodation? My friend and I are going this December.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

Hello! What companies for car rental in Chile would you recommend?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

Chilean Rent A Car? Perhaps!

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

I was in Chile in February 2015 and rented a car in Chilean Rent a Car. The car was all full of scratches and dents, and dirty. When I went out with the car, I saw that the tank was empty. I came back, spoke with the head, and made him fix the role of inspection because it had marked FULL tank.

On the day of delivery, they have not opened the agency in time, and I had to stay a long time waiting on. Lack of professionalism.

In short, the Chilean is cheaper than traditional rental companies but I DO NOT recommend it.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

ESPAÑOL:

CASO: MAL SERVICIO, IMPUNTUALIDAD Y FALTA DE ASEO EN VEHÍCULO.

RESPUESTA DE CHILEAN RENT A A CAR:

¡¡10% en nuestro próximo arriendo!! ¿¿¿???

SITUACIÓN OCURRIDA:

1. Hicimos la reserva con 2 días de antelación, enviando la información que nos solicitaron.

2. Solicitamos el retiro a las 09:00 hrs. y estuve puntualmente en la sucursal para hacer efectivo el retiro del vehículo.

3. Se nos informó que había una "pequeña" demora, que finalmente fue de 1:15 hrs. (1 hora y 15 minutos). Es decir, salimos a las 10:15

4. Debido a la demora, el auto lo tomamos sin lavar, ni asear, con los vidrios sucios, tierra y migas de pan en el suelo, etc...

5. Y principalmente, debido a la demora, tuvimos que subir a la van y "volar" a nuestro destino, donde nos esperaban a las 11:30 hrs. para participar en un proyecto con uno de nuestros clientes.

6. Llegamos justo a las 11:30, el cliente angustiado, nosotros estresados y un día de trabajo que habíamos preparado con mucha antelación, casi arruinado por la demora en la entrega del vehículo.

COMPENSACIÓN SOLICITADA:

Reembolso del servicio o compensación adecuada a la gravedad de la falta en el servicio contratado.

REITERAMOS RESPUESTA DE CHILEAN / UNITED RENT A CAR:

¡¡10% en nuestro próximo arriendo!! ¿¿¿???

ENGLISH:

CASE: Poor service, delay on delivery of the car and dirty vehicle.

RESPONSE FROM CHILEAN / UNITED RENT A CAR:

10% in our next lease !! ¿???

Situation that occurred:

1. We booked 2 days in advance, sending the information they requested.

2. We request pickup at 09:00 hrs. and we we're on time at the office to pickup the vehicle.

3. It was reported that there was a "small" delay, which eventually was 1:15 hrs. (1 hour 15 minutes). That is, we left at 10:15

4. Due to the delay, we took the car without washing, with dirty glasses, dirt and bread crumbs on the floor, etc ...

5. And mainly because of the delay, we had to "fly" to our destination, where we we're supposed to be before 11:30 hrs. to participate in a project with one of our clients.

6. We arrived just at 11:30, the customer was anxious, stressed and our work day, prepared well in advance, was almost ruined by the late delivery of the vehicle.

COMPENSATION REQUESTED:

Reimbursement of service appropriate to the seriousness of the problem or service compensation.

RESPONSE FROM CHILEAN / UNITED RENT A CAR:

10% in our next lease !! ¿???

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

My colleague and I arrested a car ten days before we arrived Santiago and surprisingly, they were not in the airport and did not answered telephonic call.

Worst rent a car business

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chilean Rent A Car

It is terrible. I do not recommend it. We have rented a car ten days before via internet and when arrived into Santiago airport they where not there. I called many times by cell phone and local phone. Nobody answered

Reply to: Chilean Rent A Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago