We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise please for solo 1st timer

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Advise please for solo 1st timer

Hi

I will be in Santiago from the 20th-23rd November. I am staying at Chileapart apartments which is in the Bella Artes, Santa Lucia area (I think).

On the 21st and the 22nd I am booking a wine tour and horseback riding in the Andes. I arrive 7:30am on the 20th and the apartment will be available for me as I have booked it from the 19th and I leave very early on the 23rd. This leaves me with 1 full day which is my arrival day on the 20th.

My question is, I was semi interested in visiting Valapariso and wondered if it is possible to do this trip by yourself? If so can you suggest the best way to get there? Also, in your opinion would it be worth while me doing this trip or should I spend my 1st day getting to know Santiago itself? The only other time I will be able to look around locally is in the evening after my day trips have finished, assuming I won't be too shattered to get out and about.

Many thanks

Kelly

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Santiago is a nice place to explore. You can join one of the walking tours that will bring you around some neighbourhoods and places of interests. Valparaiso is also worth visiting. You can go there by yourself. I suggest that you join a day tour that will also bring you to Vina del Mar. Valparaiso is not exactly a safe place to wander on your own if you are traveling alone.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Valparaíso is 90 minutes by bus from Santiago and the buses run every 15 minutes. It is a great place to wander around.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

If you would be doing Valparaíso on your first day in Chile, I would recommend a tour from Santiago. There are many which are not that expensive. You may be tired from your flight and it isn't a good idea to explore on your own when you are tired. The alternative is one of the walking tours of Santiago which you pay for with a tip. You could leave it at any point if you felt tired or simply wanted to explore a bit you are walking through more slowly. They are usually available at around 10 am and again at around 3 pm. You could rest a bit, have a good lunch and join the 3 pm tour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Thanks for the tips. I am thinking I may have to give Valpariso a miss as you are right as I would have been travelling for 22hrs via Miami so in hindsight I think it is best that I check-in, relax a bit and then explore Santiago. the afternoon walking tour may be a good idea for me.

Thanks again.

Kelly

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Hi. I was in Santiago between earlier this month. I'm travelling South America at the moment so was alone there. I loved Santiago. Definitely join a walking tour. They depart daily at 10am outside the cathedral. You can't miss them the guides wear red tshirts. I ended up meeting a few other travellers on their own and spent the day with them. The tour will end near cerro saint Christobel. It's worth taking the funicular to the top if it's a clear day as the views of the andes are great. They are also good from cerro Santa Lucia too. Other top tips are watching the changing of the guard - they change every other day, you can check the website of if your going on the walking tour the guide will know. Also the museum of memory was good too, you can get the by metro. I speak very little Spanish and managed to navigate my way, it's very easy.

It's a shame that you don't have time for Valpariso as that's great too! Enjoy

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Hi

Does anyone know if there are afternoon/evening trips to Valpariso guided tours?

Really stuck in making up my mind as to do a walking tour of a Santiago or go to Valpariso as it feels a shame to miss out on either one.

Thanks

Kelly

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Hi Kelly,

I would not recommend a guided bus tour from Santiago as you waste hours waiting for others and dawdling in Vina del Mar. My tour spent an hour at Nerudas house and then it was time to go back to Santiago.

Take a bus from the main bus station - less the 6000 CLP return. There are excellent walks by Tours4tips at 10 and 3. Meet in Sotomayor Square (about 3000 by taxi from bus station.). There's a good cafe, Melbourne, on the square if you have to wait.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Thanks Peterscot for replies to both of my questions.

Do you think it would be pushing it or just too much to do on my first arrival day? I fly from the UK to Chile via Miami, so 10hrs to Miami, 5hr stopover and then another 8hrs to Chile, I plan to sleep on the 2nd flight and should arrive in Santiago at 7am'ish. I am able to checkin straight away so now considering doing the 10am Santiago tour and take a bus to Valpariso and then do the 3pm tour as it is 1.5hrs journey there. After the tour I can then take the bus back and be back in Santiago by roughy 8pm. I can always sleep like a baby that same night.

In your opinion is this too much to try and plan? Gutted I only have 3 whole days in Santiago and wish I had planned my whole trip a bit more wisely but what's do e is done.

Thanks

Kelly

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

Ps; I would also like to take funicular to the top....do you know the best time of days or just the times that you can do this?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise please for solo 1st timer

No, I don't think its feasible. You don't take into account getting to the bus, or to the start of the second walk. Plus you'll be walking for 6 hours, and in abus for at least 3. Possibly not the best first day. Plenty to see and do. In Santiago.

If you mean the San Cristobal funicular, I dont think it makes a lot of difference on the time day.