We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

my friends parents are going to Santiago in December, I think from the 20-25th or something like that...

they are in the 70's.. but pretty mobile.. obviously they'd like to be near some cool sights, as well as restaurants.

Hyatt is a bit cheaper... and to me looks a little nicer on the web..what's the story folks?

thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

The Ritz Carlton is located in El Golf a pleasant and safe suburb and very accessible to the El Golf metro station. El Golf is just a little further out of town from Providencia. It is an elegant relatively understated hotel. It does not have grounds as such but a small gym and indoor pool on its rooftop level. It is within walking distance from several good restaurants and serves a lovely breakfast in the form of small but excellent buffet combined with an a la carte menu. Unfortunately its prices have risen by 30% since this time last year.

The Grand Hyatt is a more modern, glass, soaring structure. It has much larger grounds and a large outdoor unheated swimming pool. No personal experience with this hotel but its restaurant(s) have been appreciated on this forum. I'm sure Molly will be able to fill you in re its location and further details.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

As far as location, the R-C has better access to metro and restaurants. It is in a livlier area. It is a first class hotel, as is the Hyatt. The Hyatt is further out, but any tour picks up from there. There is a nearby mall which has a Boulevard of very good restaurants. Both have pool, gym etc. Neither hotel is near much in the way of sights. Both hotels are excellent. Because of its location and architecture, the Hyatt has more of a feeling of space. Toss a coin?

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

No experience with the R.C., but during one of our visits, we stayed at the Hyatt (only one night) and liked the hotel itself a lot, including the restaurants. It's not close to any cool sights, but the cab ride is not too long.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

right on, sounds like either will suit them fine...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

How about the "Four Points Sheraton"??

it says it's in the Middle of Provedencia... seems like it's more central a location?.. and the price is nice at $100/night..

I realize it's probably not "as nice" a hotel.. but they won't mind if it's in a superior location..

I know I want to stay in Provedencia.. so I guess I should put them in the same spot..

both the Hyatt and the Ritz seem a little out of the way, they would prefer to not use Taxi's or the Subway system.. since they speak very little spanish...

Help

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

The Four Points is indeed very well placed in Providencia. It is on a small side street but in an area which is very lively. They'll have to take some transport to sights, but both the RC and 4Points are near a metro stop.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

right on Molly.. I booked them the Four Points today.. only $410 for 4 nights.. not bad at all.. only a little more then I'm paying ($75) for an aparthotel in Provedencia..

maybe I should stay there too!.. I think I might miss having a Concierge and buffet breakfast!.. haha.. no I'm going to stick with Provedencia Suites.. I've committed to them, plus, the building looks sleek and modern.. just my style.. and who wants to be around a ton of tourists?..haha..

thanks for all your input.. I still haven't bought those concert tickets yet.. I don't know what is stopping me!

pelkey

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

If you will be doing any cooking, there is a supermarket in the below street level shopping area at Los Leones metro stop. Go in the entrance near the corner of Lyon by Almacenes Paris. At least good for stocking up on bottled water etc.

Hope the 4points and your apartment work out well.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

right. now I'm reminded why I got the apartment instead of the hotel.. I definitely plan on checking out some of the local food shops, and I'll start with these you've suggested..

that Mercado Central sounds pretty cool as well... I'll definitely need some snacks to go with all the wine I plan on drinking!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Hyatt vs. Ritz-Carleton - which is better located?

Pelkey, there is also a good cheese shop, 'Quesería', on Nueva de Lyon just before the Falabella department store and 'Granos y Hojas' on Ricardo Lyon 146 for buying or drinking coffee.