We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone service

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone service

I will be in Valparaiso for a few months and was wondering about the cell phone service. My verizon cell phone will not work there. Can you purchase a phone there to call back to the United States? Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone service

Yes, you can very easily. Just go to one of the shops run by the cellular companies, Moviestar, Entel or Claro.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone service

Yes, get a local phone OR just a SIM if you already have an unlocked tri or quad band phone and use with your Skype-to-Go Chile number. That way you pay the low local rate to call a Santiago land line number to access the 2¢ a minute Skype calls to the US.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone service

If you use Entel there is a good texting option available on Facebook. Good for keeping in touch for minimal cost. Texts go to your phone and onto FB.

apps.facebook.com/send-sms/?pg=list_providers

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone service

Just another option is to rent a prepaid cell phone upon arrival at the airport.

But, if you are carrying a notebook, the best (and cheapest) option is to buy some credit at Skype (I usually spend a total of around USD 15 for phone calls while traveling) and use "skype-out" to call home or locally.

There are WIFI spots at the malls, some big grocery stores, etc.

Kind regards and have a great trip to Chile,

Jdelapaz

Vina del Mar
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone service

Getting a phone is very easy, and in my opinion, so cheap that it's probably not worth renting one if you can't just unlock your US phone and use it here with a Chilean SIM. We paid 10,000CLP for our phones back in January, and that came with the SIM and 5,000CLP worth of credit. Got them in a department store (Ripley or Falabella I think) as the main Entel shops mostly dealt in contracts.

I also second Skype. It's a godsend. And there are definitley more and more wifi hotspots opening up.

6. Re: cell phone service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Valparaiso