We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

While in Santiago, my boyfriend and I plan to take a side trip to Melipilla and Pomaire. Rather than return to Santiago, we are hoping to go to Valparaiso and spend the night for a later return to Santiago. We have the info on Santiago to Melipilla by bus and then collectivo or taxi to Pomaire. What are options from Pomaire/Melipilla area to Valparaiso? We have some basic Spanish, and like travelling in the local fashion. We can splurge a bit economically if we need to. Gracias.

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

Hello,

After your visit to Melipilla and Pomaire, you have two options. You can travel by bus or "taxi colectivo" to San Antonio and from the bus terminal in San Antonio wait for a bus to Valparaíso. It is not so easy, and it can take over 3 or even 4 hours to get here.

But, as a local, I would do it different. I would go back to Santiago and from Pajaritos metro station I would take any of the buses that run to Viña del Mar or Valparaíso every 5 minutes.

It will be less expensive and even quicker.

One thing: you can't miss Valparaíso!

It's cosmopolitan, it's young, it's nice and there are many places to stay at and things to do.

Try to arrange your lodging in advance at one of the many hostels that we have here.

You will find good advices from other travelers about lodging places that will for sure match your budget.

Kind regards from Valparaíso,

Jdelapaz

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

During the summer Pomaire is a lot more active, but otherwise it is best to visit on a weekend. During the week it is very dead.

You could combine Pomaire with Isla Negra and visit one of Pablo Neruda's homes.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

That's maybe 5 hours of public transport and waiting for it so you can go to Pomaire and end up in Valpo.

If you go the San Antonio route, you should maybe change plans so you can see Isla Negra (as DM suggested), spend the night south of Valpo in Algarrobo, then proceed to Valpo and spend the rest of the day there before returning to Santiago.

The caveat is, exactly when are you traveling? The coast gets mobbed during the summer which would require advance reservations for a stay at any of the coastal resort towns like Algarrobo.

And your age may also determine the decision as Valpo/Viña would be better for youthful nightlife.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

Thank you so much for your reply. After looking at some of the other posts as well, I may skip Pomaire and just spend the extra time in Valparaiso. It sounds like Pomaire on a weekday (Wednesday in November) might not be as interesting. Thanks again for your feedback!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

We are going the last Wednesday in November, sounds like it would still be kind of dead and we would not get to really enjoy the pottery market. Perhaps more time in Valparaiso is the thing to do! Thanks for the tips.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

algarroba sounds interesting. We are travelling last week of November and we have one night already reserved in Valparaiso. We might increase that to two nights and then I suppose we could take public transportation from Valparaiso and Algarroba? Sounds like Pomaire might have to wait for another trip given that during the week the markets and activity will be minimal.

Thanks for you feedback.

7. Re: Options for traveling from Melipilla to Valparaiso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:52