We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

Dallas, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

My wife and I will arrive at Valparaiso port on Jan 7, 2012 aboard the Star Princess at 5AM. Our flight leaves SCL at 12 Noon which means airport arrival prior to 10AM. What is the best way to get to the airport under those time constraints? Is it possible to prearrange pickup at the terminal? Also, is it possible to share the ride and related costs?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

The only alternative is to take a taxi, Us$100-120. You might be able to share with other passengers.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

Do you know what time you will be allowed to disembark? You will need to go through customs. It will take about 1.5 hours to get to the airport and you will need to be there 2 hours beforehand at the latest. I would definitely book a private transfer. Check for recommendations or others needing the same service on the forums at www.cruisecritic.com.

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

Hello,

Please arrange your exit from the ship on the first shift.

Sometimes this can be difficult in case there are too many passengers taking the tours that are arranged by the cruise.

But anyway, you can do it, in order to come out from all the customs and agriculture control at 8:30 sharp.

It takes a little less than 90 minutes from the pier to the airport at reasonable speed with an expert driver.

You will get to the airport just in time to board, and for sure you'll have your boarding passes pre-checked in in advance through internet the night before.

Good luck and kind regards,

Jdelapaz

Dallas, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

Thanks for the info. Are you able to pre-arrange a taxi pick-up?

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

There is a cab company that does the service and you can contact them by telephone some days in advance. It's called Exclusive.

The phone number is: 0056 32 2993382

I hope they will be able to take your order without any problem.

Kind regards,

Jdelapaz

Dallas, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

Thanks for the info. I sent them an e-mail inquiry yesterday and haven't had a response yet. Assume I will hear from them in the next day or so. Again, many thanks!

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

You're welcome !

Just one word about our catastrophe.prone country. We usually don't plan so much in advance, because so many things can happen...

If they don't answer it's maybe because it's too soon to book.

So please remember to reconfirm just 1 or 2 days before, just call them on the phone i.e. from Puerto Montt.

Many things may happen and maybe you will finally decide not to come, therefore a brief confirmation just before your arrival will be better.

KInd regards,

Jdelapaz

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

I have plenty of time. How can I get to the center of Santiago in the least expensive way from the cruise port?

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

Hello,

It will all depend on the amount of luggage you will be carrying. And if you are fit, young and brave, of course ...;)

The thing is, you can even walk out from the cruise terminal to the bus terminal in Valparaíso. It's only a few blocks away. The buses to Santiago leave every 10 minutes or so. In Santiago, you get out at station Pajaritos and from there you take a metro and you are in the center of Santiago.

But, you must be aware of the following: in Valparaíso as well as in Viña del Mar, our streets are not very perfectly even after the last earthquake and the poor maintenance, so it can be a little stressing ot be towing your bags. There will be no caddies to help you and the bus terminal in Valparaíso doesn't lie in the best neighborhood, so walking around with lots of luggage might not be the best choice in terms of security.

My suggestion: if you are on a really tight budget, walk out from the pier, take the local metro at the nearby metro station, get to Viña del Mar and from there walk to the bus terminal, take the bus to Santiago, etc.

It will be a nice tour also, because the metro runs on the surface along the coast before getting to Viña del Mar. And it's only 15 minutes away.

Hope this advise is of help,

Kind regards from Valparaíso,

Jdelapaz

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfers Valparaiso cruise port to Santiago airport

You should go all the way into Terminal Alameda rather than Pajaritos Metro. The Metro and luggage do not mix well. Think stairs, more stairs, crowds and more crowds. There is a luggage storage office at Terminal Alameda and also a direct connection underground to Metro Universidad de Santiago and from there you can visit the main sites in Santiago Centro and surroundings or you can take a taxi from the stand on the west side of the terminal to wherever you are going in the city.