We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Study/Travel in Valparaiso? Advice Please!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Study/Travel in Valparaiso? Advice Please!

Hey all,

I'm a student who is going to be studying abroad this upcoming August - December. I am torn between Valparaiso/Vina del Mar, Chile and Buenos Aires, Argentina. What's most important to me is CULTURE. I want to meet locals, learn customs, and speak spanish (I'm at an intermediate level, but I'll be studying more in the upcoming months and during my stay abroad as well). I want to do lots of outdoor activities. I currently live in NYC so I'm not crazy about a bustling metropolitan area. Cities are great, but I want to do alot of excursions. Real travel. Does anyone have advice on Valpo? The people? The atmosphere? Good for students? And if you have advice on BA and how the two compare, that'd be great too. Thanks for the help in advance!!!

- Maria

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Austral Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
INTI- Bikes
Bike Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Naveguemos Cunco
Boat Tours, Boat Hire
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Study/Travel in Valparaiso? Advice Please!

>>>>> I want to meet locals, learn customs, and speak spanish (I'm at an intermediate level, but I'll be studying more in the upcoming months and during my stay abroad as well). <<<<<

Argentines are known for their friendliness and gregariousness. Chileans are reserved but if YOU make the effort, they will reciprocate in perhaps surprising ways.

Do you want to learn "chileno" arguably the worst dialect of Spanish on the planet or "argentino" which is unique in itself.

>>>>> I want to do lots of outdoor activities. I currently live in NYC so I'm not crazy about a bustling metropolitan area. Cities are great, but I want to do alot of excursions. <<<<<

Well that destroys BA.

>>>>> Does anyone have advice on Valpo? The people? The atmosphere? Good for students? <<<<<

Valpo is Chile summed up in so many respects BUT it is a real working port town with real big working port problems. There are dangerous areas and better areas sometimes not clearly defined to an outsider. You will have to use common sense and your big city radar to play it safe. Of course, the best reco is to reside in safer and more cuico Viña and commute.

More will chime in.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Study/Travel in Valparaiso? Advice Please!

Buenos Aires, but ask on that thread, is one of the world's great metropolitan centres, let's of theatres, fantastic restaurants, great night life, you name it and BA has it. Valparaiso is a smallish city with Vina del Mar, Chile's major resort, next door. It is easy to stay in Vina and commute on the suburban train.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
P M
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Study/Travel in Valparaiso? Advice Please!

Agree with both Toid and EEUU. Valparaiso is like a Latin American San Francisco. Buenos Aires is a like a European-Latin American New York. I absolutely love both places. I prefer Valparaiso to live and BA to visit for a week.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
4. Re: Study/Travel in Valparaiso? Advice Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:52
Get answers to your questions about Valparaiso