We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation and Guide to Santiago

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
410 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation and Guide to Santiago

We have been to Valparaiso and toured the city and then some of the wine country on the way to the airport in Santiago. We are arriving by ship again and will need to depart Santiago airport to BA for a 9PM flight out of BA. We will be off the ship about 9AM. Is it better to see the Del Mar area for a few hours or go to Santiago for the day since we have not toured there before? Can a guide in Valparaiso be our guide in Santiago if we do that?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

We had the same problem, last year. We used John Gottleib, a driver/guide and had a wonderful day. We had been to Santiago on previous trips, but he knew many places in the country to show us. We had a lovely time with him. His English is perfect. He delivered us to the airport for our late flight. He has a web site and email address.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

We had the same problem, last year. We used John Gottleib, a driver/guide and had a wonderful day. We had been to Santiago on previous trips, but he knew many places in the country to show us. We had a lovely time with him. His English is perfect. He delivered us to the airport for our late flight. He has a web site and email address.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

Am I reading this correctly?

You will leave the ship at 9 a.m. in Valparaiso and then need to get a flight in Santiago in time for a 9 p.m. flight in BA the same day???

My lord, you'd better go directly to Santiago as quickly as you can and hope there are no flight delays. (My flight out of Santiago was delayed by five hours).

That's a tight schedule there.

WQst

http://youtu.be/eTv-niYPBtU

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

Let's work backwards. Your flight leaves BA at 9 pm and you would need your baggage checked all the way through to the USA so you can do it as an international connection. Make sure you fly into and out of the same airport, EZE and not AEP. I think you want to land in BA not later than 2 hours before that 9 pm flight. That leaves a bit of room for the connection/security/delays. That means 7 pm. Your flight from Santiago takes another couple of hours. Make sure it is a flight which does not stop in Mendoza. So a flight around 5 pm. You would have to see what is available as it is an odd time. You would have to check in a couple of hours before in SCL. How long this takes depends on how many flights are leaving etc but a couple of hours should be alright. Make sure they tag the bags all the way through to the US. 3 pm at the airport, and an hour and a half or so from the port to the airport (any day but December 8th). You would have to leave the coast at 1-1:30.

Now we look at the beginning. 9 am arrival but you still have to disembark and go through customs. This is difficult to put a time to as it depends if yours is the only ship docking or if there are others. I think the best you could do is an hour and a half to be leaving the port but it could be longer. It doesn't leave much time for delays on any of this but you might squeeze in a short tour.

I would contact some guides (John is very good) and see what they recommend as possible given the time you have. Definitely have someone booked as far in advance as you can as the good ones get booked fast.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 16:52
Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
410 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

Do you have contact information ion John Gottleib?

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
410 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

The last time I did this after departing a ship we had no problem with flights onb LAN and was able to do a tour with lunch in a winery on the way from Valpariso. There is a LAN non stop at 3:30 and one at 5:30, each is a 2hr flight. Do you see a problem? I am probably going to do the 3;30 and there are earlier flights as well. Does anyone have a contact for John Gottleib? Is he in Santiago or Valparaiso? I am not that comfortable with checking my bags all the way through because we need them for several days in New York City and do not want to take a chance on not having them. Is there a big problem getting them and then rechecking with United Airlines myself?

Edited: 23 May 2012, 20:59
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

When I say check them through, I mean from Santiago to your point of entry in the USA. You do not want to have to collect the luggage in Buenos Aires because it would mean going through customs/passport control, paying reciprocity fee and you would have to arrive a good four hours before your flight leaves. You will be collecting your luggage at your point of entry to the US anyway if you are spending some days in NYC.

John Gottlieb

http://www.chiletouring.cl/2/index.php/en/

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
410 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

What worries me is the connection or transfer of my bags in BA from LAN to United. This is where bags get lost or delayed. I understand what you are saying but hoped I could do this myself without much trouble since we are going international to international . This is not like the Eurozone in Europe , the flight from SCL-BA is international as well ?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

Yes it is an international connection, which allows checking the bags through. However, if you chose not to, in order to collect the bags you will have to first go through passport control and customs, collect the bags and go to a counter to check in. If you have not previously landed in Buenos Aires you will also be liable for a reciprocity fee of US$160 each, although they might allow you to enter without it as you have a flight the same day. They would then write the number of the flight on the copy of the tourist card you fill in when you arrive.

Since you are not staying in Buenos Aires, would it not be easier to depart for the USA from Santiago?

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
410 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation and Guide to Santiago

I am using miles for first class seats and so I have to use United which only returns from BA through NYC and eventually to Houston. I will see what LAN says in Santiago about the bag transfer. I may let them do it.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 22:47