We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to see Valpo and for how many days?

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When to see Valpo and for how many days?

I would like help planning the best uses of time and when to see Valpo.

4/17 Wed. Santiago. 9:10am. 3 adults arrive from USA. We will have been travelling for 24 hours, and just a few hours time zone difference. We may be up for siteseeing.

Would this be enough time to go to Valpo to do it justice? Or wait til end of trip - see below.

Or, try to go into Santiago?

Or, find another interesting city?

4/18 Thu. 3:40pm flight to Puerto Montt.

5/2 Thu. Santiago. I don't know the time arriving from EI.

5/6 Mon. 10:55 pm fly USA.

We want to see Santiago and Valpo and tour wine country.

Can someone suggest how many days we should spend between these 2 cities. We would be interested in a tour. (I tried to contact Leo and haven't heard from him in days. I would be open to suggestions of other guides).

Should we travel to Valpo and stay 1, 2 days there? If yes, what days would be good to go. Considering in both cities traffic, crowds at attractions, what is open/closed, ease of travel between the 2 cities, and anything else to factor in.

We have luggage. We do not like to rent cars.

We have no hotel or transportation at this time. Budget hotel: 47,474.81 CLP - 71,212.22 CLP

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to see Valpo and for how many days?

I have separated out your dates so they are easier to see and understand.

4/17 Wed. Santiago. 9:10am.

4/18 Thu. 3:40pm flight to Puerto Montt.

5/2 Thu. Santiago. I don't know the time arriving from EI.

5/6 Mon. 10:55 pm fly USA.

Stay in Santiago the night you arrive. The next day do a tour of Santiago in the morning. There are excellent walking tours, but if someone has mobility problems then you need to look at a company like Turistour or hire a guide and driver.

Be prepared for some rain if you are going south to Puerto Montt and the lakes in April. That is autumn and it comes more quickly in the south. Base yourselves somewhere smaller than PM like Puerto Varas. Or fly to Temuco and bus to Pucón.

Between the 18th April, going to Puerto Montt, and the 2 May, arriving from Easter Island, what is happening?

You can divide the 3rd, 4th, 5th, between Santiago and Valparaíso. You should be in Santiago the night before your flight.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 12:17
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to see Valpo and for how many days?

Adding, if you don't have Santiago hotel booked already do that now. It will be the beginning of conference season and things book up. Also, flights booked close to your dates will be more expensive, so try to map those out too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to see Valpo and for how many days?

Thank you. All our flights are booked. Yes we are still going to EI during that time. Thanks for all the additional information. You brought up fantastic points.

4. Re: When to see Valpo and for how many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:16