We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

Hi all

My partner and I will be on our honeymoon in November and need to travel between Valparaiso and Mendoza - overnight one way, and day time on the return leg to Santiago.

I have previously searched and found overnight routes but now cannot seem to (a little concerning as we have made some of our accommodation bookings already). As bookings are limited to 30 days I understand things may change by November, but wondering if anyone can shed light on this route as an overnight option in the meantime?

Many thanks

Hannah

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
186 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

are you sure you saw overnight routes? i can't find any, which kind of makes sense: it's an 8 hour ride, which just about justifies an overnight trip, but it entails a border crossing which is quite invasive.

i did it on a day trip and they made everyone get off the bus, they search both your hand luggage and checked bags and get dogs on board. all this takes about an hour. i can't imagine how could anyone expect to have a decent night's sleep like that.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

There are evening buses in the summer when the customs is open 24 hrs (not sure when they start), but you do have to get off at the border as mentioned.

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

Thank you so much - it would make sense if they only run during summer, I was doing my searches back in Jan-March which is probably when they would have been running.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

They might start as early as November. I just can't remember.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

I wasn't very clear. I should have added to the above that the aduana is only open until 8 pm at this time of year but will be open 24 hrs from September, but I don't know if the evening buses start then too.

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

Thank you, that's wonderful insight - I'll email some of the companies and see if I can gather some information that is November specific.

If nothing else, I'm glad I'm not going crazy!

7. Re: Overnight bus: Valparaiso - Mendoza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 06:16