We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas to New Year's

Which Valparaiso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas to New Year's

Last year I was in Valparaiso and heard there was a week long festival between Xmas and NYE. But I can't find any info. Anybody know anything?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas to New Year's

I've never heard of it. Any idea what sort of festival?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas to New Year's

I found it after a bit of a search. It is called the Carnaval Cultural and this year's dates and activities are here:

municipalidaddevalparaiso.cl/noticias.php…

It sounds like fun!

Buenos Aires
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas to New Year's

Music, lots of music. I was told 1,000,000 people come. I doubt it, as I haven'f found any info.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas to New Year's

Maybe two different things are getting mixed up: the Carnaval Cultural which seems to indeed take place between Christmas and New Year and the fireworks display on New Year' Eve. Valparaiso is famous for its fireworks display and they say a million people go to see them. This year there will be fireworks in Valparaíso, Viña del Mar and Con Con, so it should be quite a spectacle.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas to New Year's

Hi

It is a huge colorfull party with music, dances, theatre, photography etc.

It takes place on the streets, squares and on the hills of Valparaiso as well in some cultural centres.

Unfortunately the web page is only in spanish consejodelacultura.cl/archivos/carnaval2006/

2005 web page is http://www.carnavalcultural2005.cl/

Enjoy it !!!

6. Re: Christmas to New Year's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 04:18