We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

Sunny Bolton
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

Hi There, is there lots of atm machines in Ecuador, i mean like in the smaller towns as well as the cities, and also i heard that they dont accept two dollar notes in ecuador, is this true???

thanks

martin

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

Is there anywhere in the world that actually uses $2.00 bills? They are pretty rare in the U.S. I certainly wouldn't plan on traveling with them -- very few people will believe that they are real.

Sunny Bolton
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

I have no idea if the two dollar note is rare or not, i am just asking because i have to change my money soon and i dont want to end up with a load of two dollar notes if they are not accepted

thanks

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

Well not many people accept the 2 dollar notes but some people collected, I will suggest you should bring lower nomination as people don’t accept 50’s out 100’s because there is a lot of counterfeit. ATM machines are almost everywhere in the big towns like Quito our Guayaquil, and the mayor of the tourist towns like Otavalo, Banos , don’t expect to see in the jungle !! if you are planning to go there. Credit cards are accepted in the majority of the restaurants and hotels. Hope this lines can help you organize your self

Sunny Bolton
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

Once again andes you help is greatly appreciated thanks for your time, i cant wait to see ecuador, now all i have to do is arrive !!!

cheersalot

martin

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

I've never seen a $2 note in Ecuador, I'm quite sure no one would accept them. If you don't want to travel with a huge wad of $20 bills, you can also carry $100 bills and change them at banks without a commission, into $20s (at least in Quito). But as the other poster mentioned, changing them elsewhere is difficult (nearly impossible).

Nottingham
Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

Definitely definitely get as much small denomination money as you can before you leave. Also, while there are reasonable numbers of cash machines in the cities they don't always work, so be aware of that and make sur eyou have some contingencies... hotels will change travellers cheques often and that can be a useful back up.

Also, just to mention that often the cash machines at Quito airport don't work, so make sure you have your departure tax ready before you go there.

Have a brilliant trip!

7. Re: ATM in Ecuador, and two dollar notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 01:16