We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazon

Save Topic
Amazon

Is it possible to visit the Amazon without staying at a lodge for 5 days? Is it possible to stay in a small town nearby and take day trips into the jungle?

Williston, Vermont
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazon

There are places that advertise short trips/day trips. But anywhere close to towns will not have much wildlife. If you really want to see the rain forest, you need to get out in the wild.

Is price the problem or is it time?

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazon

Although, I have friends that went pretty deep into the jungle, to Sani Lodge, and it's not like they could see pumas. They did still have an amazing experience though. But for shorter outings, my parents really enjoyed Huasquila Lodge (4 hours from Quito by car), and my brother-in -law did a day trip from Mishaulli. There are still lots of fascinating things to see, particularly flora.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazon

Some years back we took a bus from Banos de Ambato to Mishaulli. We were traveling with all of our children so our budget was tight. We had planned to stay just two days. Once there we loved it and stayed longer. We took days trips with a guide which was set up through our hotel. Don't just take trips with some guy off the street offering to guide you!!! It was our fist introduction to the jungle. Some of our best memories!

4. Re: Amazon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 06:20