We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guayquil or Cuenca??

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
Guayquil or Cuenca??

We only have time to visit one...which would you suggest and why? Can't decide!! Thanks!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

Hi. My family (with wife and three teenage daughters) just returned from Ecuador. We visited Quito, Cuenca, Guayaquil, Manta, Montanita, Olon beach, etc.

Your question is easy to answer: Cuenca, hands down. It is a lovely colonial town - - one of the finest in South America. In 1999 UNESCO named the center of Cuenca a World Heritage Site. The population of Cuenca is 400,000, but it retains the charm and feel of a much smaller city.

Guayaquil is a huge port city, with a population of 3 million people, dirty and dangerous. The new Malecon (boardwalk along the river) is quite nice, and reflects the pride of the citizens in their city.

My family would love to return to Cuenca, and my wife and I would even consider retiring there. Guayaquil, no way. Really, don't think twice on this one.

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

That's exactly what I needed to hear!! Thanks so much!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

I agree totaly with the other poster! Guayaquil is a port city. There are some nice areas, but they are few. There is about a days worth of things to do. A good part of the city is something you will not want to see.

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

The end of November we will be in Guayaquil for one day off a cruise ship - 2 couples in our 60's. What would you suggest we do and see?

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

How many days are suggested in Cuenca?

Also if I was going to bus down from Quito to Peru what cities/ places are worth spending a couple of days (besides Cuenca).

Thanks alot.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

Much depends on your schedule an travel style. I would say 2 to 3 days. That would give you some time to see some of the sites.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

I had been around Ecuador quite often and I love Cuenca, is a beautiful charming town located on the Andes mountain, nice and peaceful, it is surrounded by the river that cross mostly the whole town, is about 3 hours and half from Guayaquil or just half an hour flight from Guayaquil as well, if you wanna relax and be on a peaceful place Cuenca is the right place for You.

However, if you wanna see a nice city that had been restore, do to the mayor urban renovation on the Ecuadorean history: Guayaquil is the place, here are a few pictures of Guayaquil that might be able to help you deciding where to go or what to do. Since Ecuador is not a big country You might even do both of them, check on this site out and decided for yourself:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

Hi, looks like you already received some good info. That said, I can comment on what I know. I will admit I did not make it to Guayaquil, only Cuenca. That said, I liked Cuenca a lot, though it is very likely the more "quiet, colonial" town. I heard Guayaquil was a port city and, while having more "big city" options (such as perhaps clubs, etc). did not have much tourist sites to see, hence why I passed on it. Based on what I saw of Cuenca and heard of Guayaquil, I'd also vote for Cuenca.

Number of days, probably not more than 2-3 days. Cuenca isn't all that huge and you should be able to get your sightseeing in within those number of days. Only difference might be if you are a traveler that wants to move slowly or get a real feel for "everyday life" for more than a few days. I can suggest if you like nature and are willing to hike, seek out the guided tours of Cajas National Park. I honestly don't remember the tour company that did mine, but was worth it. Probably about a half day hike at about $35-40/person. It did include a decent lunch at a restaurant (bring extra cash for beverage, not included in the meal). Also picked you up at the door of your hotel/hostal and returned you there in a vehicle reasonably comfortable and modern. You can go to my site on TA to check out the hostel I reviewed. I booked the tour with that hostel, and I imagine you could call them even if you didn't stay there to find out the tour company.

9. Re: Guayquil or Cuenca??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 22:17