We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Ecuador

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
safety in Ecuador

I have been reading the posts and saw the State Dept. increased warning. My family is planning on spending 14 days in Ecuador in Dec. (We are in our mid 50s and kids are 16 and 21.

We are landing in Guayaquil, going to Alandaluz, going to Napo and then to Quito. We live in Chicago. People think Chicago is very dangerous but it is something we live with and don't find a problem Should we be worried or just conscientious?

Chicago
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in Ecuador

I recently returned from a trip to Ecuador and found it to be a beautiful country with friendly people and I didn't fear for my safety at all. I wasn't in Guayaquil or Alandaluz but I did go to both Napo and Quito.

It seemed like Quito was simialr to other big cities. Don't flash your money around, keep aware of your surroundings, don't walk down empty streets at night, if you aren't sure how to get where you are going take a cab, etc.

You shouldn't be worried about going to Ecuador, just be safety conscious and you should have a lot of fun.

Boston...
Level Contributor
308 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in Ecuador

I think if you are used to big cities, you should be fine. Similar to Chicago, there are certain areas you just shouldn' t walk around in Quito (we didn't go to Guayaquil so I dont' know about there), and we took taxis when we went out for dinner at night. We walked around Quito during the day without incident--we were in the 'Old Town' area. We LOVED Ecuador. Are you going to Napo Wildlife Center? if so, it's an amazingly special place--we really enjoyed our time there. I wouldn't be worried about the safety issue, but certainly be aware of your surroundings.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in Ecuador

The warning about Guayaquil was not to hail a cab off the street. Have someone call a cab for you!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in Ecuador

Thanks to everyone who responded. It helps to put things in perspective and hear from people who have been in Ecuador recently and had wonderful experiences.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in Ecuador

I went with my family for 2 weeks - kids 9 & 11 - and had a great time. Other than Quito, we freely walked around at night in several towns. In Quito, we walked during the day & took cabs at night

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in Ecuador

I have lived in Ecuador for 2 years. It is a high crime country as stated by the State Department. With that being said, use common sense. Many of the people who have issues here do not practice safety. My children are 12 and 14 and they have been fine. We have been to all the places that you are going and have not had any problems. Be conscience of your surroundings, and go with your gut if you don't feel safe. Enjoy yourselves. December is a great time to be in Ecuador.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in Ecuador

Here is the best link i have found so far explaining crime & safety in Ecuador, much better than government warnings, made me feel better

infohub.com/Destinations/…82433.htm

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in Ecuador

Hi Chicagofish,

I would echo everything you had others state. I was in Ecuador earlier this year. I did not make it to Guayaquil (did not read there was enough there to catch my interest), but was in Quito.

I read much of the same warnings, and am from Minneapolis. I would agree that if you are from a big city (so used to it) and use common sense you will likely have little troubles. I was actually surprised that I had as little trouble as I might have. I did hear of one person I met who almost had a bag-snatching (though it was unsuccessful), but I did not encounter any crime myself. Crime, when I did hear of it, was much more along the lines of petty crimes such as pickpocketing, etc.

My largest impressions are these: if you are caucasian, you will not surprisingly stick out in this Latin America country. It will be assumed if you have the money to travel here, you have the money to give on the street - hence you will be asked to buy many trinkets on the streets or give change. I did not buy much on the streets or give much cash on the streets, and once I politely declined was not much hassled. Just be ready for that eventuality.

Furthermore, I happened to arrive in Quito a day off a political uprising between Ecuador and Colombia. Being Colombia has been friendly with the US, I expected to be a target being assumed to be an American. I never had that problem.

In the end, don't flash money (better yet don't carry a lot at one time), watch your surroundings, take cabs at night (they're pretty darn cheap, even at night when rates go up - just negotiate rates before you get in the cab) much like I expect you do in Chicago. In the day, I walked or took public transit just about everywhere and had little trouble.

Sarasota, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in Ecuador

Ecuador is much safer than Miami and California. We were there last year, drove a nice SUV around for almost 10 with a wonderful Guide, and NOTHING happened to us. I think sometimes the State Department exagerates too much

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294308-i2254-k262…

10. Re: safety in Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:19