We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money question

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
money question

in certain countries we have encountered difficulty using USA dollars that are not perfect, torn or old bills. is this an issue in ecuador. i also had read that larger bills are sometimes difficult to use. can you advise

Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: money question

Since the US dollar is the official currency in Ecuador, you won't run into this problem to the extent that you do in other countries. I didn't have any problems over about six weeks of travel.

You may have trouble with very old or very damaged bills, but small tears shouldn't be a problem.

In general, it is better to avoid bills larger than $20, in case people are unable or unwilling to make change, but you should be able to break $50/100 in banks, hotels or large stores.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: money question

Ecuador has no problems in using dirty or old bills. If they are torn it is a problem, and it becomes bigger the bigger the bill.

$50 USDs and $100 USDs are not accepted in most establishments, it is a big problem here to change them.

People will always ask for "sueltos" which are spare $1 USD bills and coins.

Have fun!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money question

I would echo the sentiment to avoid $50's and $100's. When I was visiting, I knew this and never brought or attempted to use them. In fact, if possible use $20's only sparingly. I was able to cash them in large supermarkets and restaurants, but otherwise it was difficult to use them in small stores.

That said, I don't remember much difficulty in using bills that were not in pristine condition in Ecuador. Just try to keep ones in generally okay condition.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money question

i don't know about other cities but Manta has change machines, you can change up to $20 bills and receive $1 or 50 cent and 25 cent coins, very usefull for cabs and small purchases, even $20 bills cause problems for me some times, smaller tiendas don't change them

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money question

thanks for all the great advice. we want to pay for some of our hotels in cash. would a $65 per night hotel have an issue accepting a $50 bill?

6. Re: money question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 05:23