We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ecuador self-drive

warwick, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Ecuador self-drive

Hi

We are planning a trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos in November 2012. We are planning to hire a 4x4 and drive ourselves for part of our itinerary. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the roads and on their experience of having done this.

Many thanks.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,295 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ecuador self-drive

On the right side, find the Top Question about renting and driving in Ecuador. How much time will you have in the country, besides the time set aside for Galápagos?

warwick, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ecuador self-drive

Thank you - the replies were read with interest!!

Obviously plans are currently very outline but we thought 2 weeks in Ecuador before 4 days in the Galapagos.

many thanks

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ecuador self-drive

i would really think twice about driving yourself in Ecuador. I am not a sheltered, pampered wimp (or not much of one), having driven in Russia, Bosnia, Mexico, Amsterdam, and worst of all, Boston. There is a real art to driving in Ecuador, with a whole bevy of unwritten rules, and to those who do not understand them the appearance is of a dangerous chaos. It will be extremely stressful. There are plenty of opportunities for bus travel, and hired drivers are affordable. I recommend you try these options.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ecuador self-drive

I have driven about 60,000 km in Ecuador in the last year without issue...That being said, if you have never driven in a developing nation before, you might be in for a bit of a surprise.

For me, the biggest challenge of driving in Ecuador is the lack of good maps and a general lack of highway signage, particularly once you get off the major highways.

Car rentals in Ecuador are expensive.....if you want a large 4x4, you'll be looking at about $100 a day for the rental.

If you shop around, you might be able to find a driver with a 4x4 who will take you around for the same price as a rental.....Keep in touch with me and when it's closer to your travel period, I can make some recommendations of drivers, depending on the area you want to hire one.

5. Re: Ecuador self-drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 10:25