We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

I am debating volunteering in Quito. Prior to this I might fly in and spend a few days somewhere. That somewhere could be Cuenca or could be a smaller community in a warmer part of the country. I could actually get into Quito and then go to Guayaquil and go somewhere from there.

I am looking at a week prior to volunteering. It is possible that there will be sidetrips on weekends anyway. I think the Galapagos are out as I have a handicap and can't do the hiking or physical stuff that seems to be a prereq of a visit there .

Appreciate any ideas.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

Define "warm." The Andes will always be, for this thin-skinned desert rat, quite chilly. The coast is in its warmest period now; by June it is the garua season when it's overcast daily and the temps drop.

Finding quiet on the coast takes time to get to. I love Puerto López, but you have to fly to Manta and then get a ride to PL, about an hour and a half away. See this recent thread to compare some towns tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297539-i10481-k49…

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

I am looking at a period Jan-March. I used to live near the Rockies and have been to high altitude places before. i was thinking t shirt weather perhaps wishful thinking in Ecuador.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

that's actually the warm time on the coast, look into puerto lopez and that general area of the coast, lots of small chilled out little towns on a beach

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

Thanks I read about those towns but it sounded like a real headache to get to

5. Re: options for a quiet warm place - easy to get from Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 10:22