We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Departure Tax

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Departure Tax

I would appreciate information on the current departure tax for Guayaquil and Quito Airports. I recall readying that the departure tax was different in Quito vs Guayaquil. Also if you depart from Guayaquil but connect to another plane in Quito prior to leaving Ecuador which departure tax do you pay?

Thank you

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Departure Tax

There's about a $10 difference, but the tax will be included in your ticket price. There has been some really goofy propaganda presented on various forums going on and on extolling the virtues of the Guayaquil airport and its slightly lower departure tax. It's not enough difference to schedule a (possibly inconvenient) flight out of Guayaquil just to save a little money. The tax depends on where your international flight originates--in other words, where you would go through emigration.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Departure Tax

Thanks very much. I had thought there was a cash only requirement for departure tax (approx $45 / person in Quito) that had to be paid when departing the country. However, if included in the airline ticket that is great.

Thank you for your the information.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Departure Tax

Departure tax from Guayaquil is USD 20. Departure tax from Quito isd USD 42.

Both are included on the ticket fee since 2 years ago.

If you depart from Guayaquil but connect planes in Quito, then you pay Guayaquil's tax.

Guayaquil's airport terminal is WAY nicer than Quito. However Quito has WAY more travel attractions than Guayaquil.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Departure Tax

The departure tax from Guayaquil went up a year or two ago and it's more like $30 now. They finally did away with having to pay the tax separately last year and it's now part of the ticket price at both airports.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Departure Tax

Thank you both for the clarification. It is good to know the departure tax is not charged at the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Departure Tax

I have just returned via Quito airport. My Ecuadorian hosts assured me I would have to pay the $48 'impuesto de salida' I contacted my ticket seller the otherwise very competitive STA and they told me they did not include the tax. However when I arrived at the check in I was told it was included in my (Air Iberia) ticket. BTW Quito airport is really pleasant with a big departure area including free WiFi with sockets to charge your device! The food availability is very poor however and you should eat first or near the airport. I checked in my bag 4 hours before flight time! Note to European travellers and others. If you buy alcohol or any liquids in Duty Free and have a transit stop in European airports or USA too, you will go through security again and they WILL take your booze away!

esmeraldas
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Departure Tax

With the new Quito airport opening in Feb. 2013 plan spending extra dollars and travel time using UIO. GYE is now much more easily accessed.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Departure Tax

does anyone know how much the airport departure tax from new Quito airport is and if it is still included in the ticket? Thanks

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Departure Tax

Although the airport taxes ARE included in the price of your airline ticket, we discovered that the Quito airport believes it is never too late to charge more tax. We purchased tickets in November 2012 for travel departing Quito airport on March 14, 2013. With the opening of the new Quito airport, there was an announcement of an increase in the airport tax, however, we never thought that would apply to previously purchased tickets. When we arrived for our Quito - Guayaquil flight, we were ushered to another counter where we were required to pay an additional $8 per person due to the increased tax! I am not sure of the additional money we would have been required to pay if it had been an international flight. Be prepared to stand in line and pay up.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Departure Tax

Note that the departure tax has increased since the opening of the new airport. If you bought your ticket before a certain date (sorry, can't remember what date that is), you will have to pay the difference. Tickets purchased after that date will include the full departure tax.