We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

funnychap24 (or anybody) please help

Europe
10 posts
Save Topic
funnychap24 (or anybody) please help

Hi all,

I think I am going to undertake the most crucial journey of my life in a week. I have just decided that I will fly to Ibarra, to save my relationship with a girl who lives there, we met in Germany.

So pls tell me :

1.How to get to Ibarra from Quito

2. what would the cheapest accomodation in Ibarra.

3. This is not really secondary..for I want to know the country of the one I love..what can I see in 2 weeks and how

Please help and help quick

Plato

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
371 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: funnychap24 (or anybody) please help

Hola Plato123,

Though I haven't been to Quito for a few years, here's what I'd suggest:

If you arrive in Quito after the sun sets, stay the night in Quito at a hotel.

If you get to Quito during the daylight hours, take a taxi from Quito's airport to the bus station where you'll take a bus to Ibarra. Can your girlfriend meet you in the Ibarra bus station?

I haven't ever been to Ibarra. I wonder if you could pick up a Lonely Planet or Footprint travel book for South America before you leave?? Those have info. about hotels/accomodations in Quito & Ibarra.

How's your Spanish?

You could enjoy Quito for a few days and maybe travel down to other small/nice cities like Ambato, Riobamba, Cuenca. You could hit the beach towns like Esmeraldas or Manta.

I always go to Guayaquil where my friends live and where I did my study abroad program.

The bus system in Ecuador is good. Keep an eye on your things at all times and your passport on you. Odds are very good that your bus will be pulled over between Quito/Ibarra and the police will check documents to make sure everyone has valid ID. (I remember this happening between Quito/Tulcan when I went back in 1995)

Any other questions? If not, good luck!

Funnychap24

Europe
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: funnychap24 (or anybody) please help

Dear funnychap24

Thank you very much. I was in such a hurry and panic that I was searching for flights without having the visa ! Now I have to look for that, I think as an Indian national I need one !

A few more questions: Is the Youth Hoste in Ibarra good (if you do not know it, how are youth hostels in Ecuador generally?)

I do not know any Spanish, will that be a big problem ???

I do not know if my girlfriend will come to the bus stand or not....you see, I am going thousands of miles to knock on her door...

Plato

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: funnychap24 (or anybody) please help

I agree with FunnyChap that you should stay the night in Quito if you arrive in the late afternoon or evening (sunset is 6:30, so if you arrive say at 5 or later, plan to stay in Quito). The bus is easy to take, and they constantly go to Ibarra, have the taxi take you the bus station and just look for an Ibarra bus. The police check-point between Quito and Tulcan that FunncyChap mentions is when you enter the province of Carchi, which is after Ibarra, so you probably won't have that hassle. I've been to Ibarra a couple of times but haven't stayed overnight there - my Footprint guidebook "Highly recommends" the HOtel Imbabura, at Oviedo 9-33 and Navaez, tel 06-2950155, and the cheapest place they have is the Colon, at Narvaez 8-62, 06-295-8695. YOu'll manage without Spanish, although of course that always makes things a little more of a hassle to find or whatever. Good luck!